Peat As A Substrate

Tonym

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
177
Reaction score
6
Points
18
Location
Shropshire, UK
I have been toying with the idea of using Peat as a substate in my 96L tank, so it would be a proper amazon biotype. But cant find much on the net about peat substrates has anbody ever had or still does have a peat substrate also what experiances do you have of this.
 
No, but i'm curious to see your results if you go ahead with it. I do FILTER through peat. Be prepared to have your water turn amber colored (which i think is nice and Amazonian like myself). I've heard of people adding peat TO their substrate, but never heard of anyone using it AS the substrate. Sorry i'm not much help, but best of luck to you.
 
I think im definatly going to have a go with a peat substrate Thanks TylerFerretLord for posting the article it was very helpful, now i just have to try and source some peat which doesnt have chemicals added to it. The ph shouldnt be a problem as the water is hard in my area although it comes out the tap at ph 7, when in a tank it rises to around ph 8. so by adding the peat it will soften the water and also lower the ph.
 
Im not sure how available peat will be in the near future - Peat is being banned from soils and composts from 2010 onwards due to wetlands erosion and various ecological reasons..... I have no idea if you will be able to replace the peat in your tank when the time comes.
 
Brought some peat moss which is used for discus and killis and some Indian Almond Leaves will let you know what happens, Natalie the Amazonia does look like a good product I dont seem to be able to get hold of it in the UK.
 
I too am think of using Aquarium Peat as my substrate, i currently filter though peat.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top