Pearl weed. The ultimate easy grower.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
You envy how lush and rich green looking plants on Co2 can get? You admire that they grow so dense they are pruned like shrubs and hedges even? Well, this plant does that and more with no Co2 or even fertilizer. Just blast it with light and add water. I started not even 3 months ago with a few stems for $1.98 I think it was. At first it went backwards as Rainbow fish nibbled its pale green stems. When the plant did get roots into my substrate and then fed off the sunlight from the window? It took off. Stems were deeper green and no longer nibbled by grazers.
In my tank its like a big green rock near dead center. It would be taller, but I pruned it to shape a few times now. To use it as groundcover is going to take weekly pruning at least. But, there it is your low tech carpet plant for your natural aquarium.
My camera is an old point and shoot. Best pics I can do.

Attachments

• IMG_3866.JPG
    IMG_3866.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3871.JPG
    IMG_3871.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 50
Another tank that looks fantastic, I'm having a good day on TFF today. Aquatic plants are basically weeds feed them fish poo and away they go. Once you know what will grow in your tank stick with that and be happy. Every tank is different so you need to play around, trial and error.

Thank You!
Pearlweed is 100% worth the effort to find or order. Its a very low cost plant and yet gives that "high end" look. So far I've seen no drawbacks to keeping this plant. The tiny foliage is a great contrast to most of the low light plants we grow that mostly have larger leaves- Crypts,Swords,the various aquatic ferns.

Haven't tried it in cold water- like my outdoor goldfish aquarium. But,it is native to Florida so should be as cold tolerant as the various water plants are down there. 50's in winter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back