Pearl Gouramis behaving strangely

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fox46

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 6 pearls, 2 females and four males (if the orange throated ones are the males). They're a peaceful group, not very active, spend a lot of time hanging in the open water. They're in a 40 gallon tank with 6 cory's and 8 guppies with no issues between them. I noticed about ten days ago that the pearls weren't coming to feed when I sprinkle flakes, and someone recommended NTL Probiotic Tropical granules, but that doesn't turn them on either. I used to see them nosing around in the cory's food but they're not doing that either. The last couple of days one of the males is staying in the cave most of the time, and some of the others are in corners or amongst the foliage. I'm not sure whether they aren't getting a little bit darker too. The water parameters are fine, and I do partial water changes every week. The only things that have changed recently was that I introduced four new guppies (additional to the happy 8 I've got). That wasn't a success, the new ones were tail nippers and as a result one guppy died and a cory lost his tail but the pearls were unaffected. I removed the offending guppies to another tank over two weeks ago and I'd have thought they'd have been over it by now, if that was the problem. The other thing is I've been putting liquid carbon in more regularly, and a few days ago changed to TNC Lite fertiliser. Any ideas?

Hi, Fox. A couple ideas. First, those are some pretty big changes, and they might just be a little stressed out.

I strongly suspect your real problem is that six pearls in a 40 gallon is pretty crowded, and you have more males than females. You really should have two females to every male, so that when they start feeling romantic the aggression gets spread out. Are you seeing any bubble nests? Even if you aren't seeing any aggression, I would almost guarantee that your pearls are feeling stressed about this.

If possible, I recommend finding new homes for two of the males, then get one more female. I bet that will take care of your problem; they'll be a lot more active and at ease.

That would break my heart, parting with them. I might need to think about that a lot but obviously I'll do what's best for them. There are no bubble nests, but I did wonder whether the slight darkening meant they were getting round to it. I'd hoped that regular water changes might lower the pheremone levels if this were the case. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have 2 males, 3 females in a 48 gallon tank. They were supposed to be 1 male, 4 females but one female turned out to be a male. I am seriously thinking about rehoming one of the males as they bicker. With 4 males, you could have problems down the line.

I have 2 males, 3 females in a 48 gallon tank. They were supposed to be 1 male, 4 females but one female turned out to be a male. I am seriously thinking about rehoming one of the males as they bicker. With 4 males, you could have problems down the line.
Oh dear. I'd always read that pearls were peaceful. Looks like I'm about to find out differently.

I have an alternative though it's not what I'd planned. I have another tank of similar slightly larger proportions, probably a 190 litre and just been cycled. I'd hoped to stock it from fresh with other breeds but I could use it to split the pearls up instead and abandon my original idea. I'd prefer not to get more of them if I can avoid it. What would be the best split? Would the males be more peaceful if there were no females present, say I put three males in the new tank and leave 1 male and 2 females in the existing tank? Or two males plus one female in each. I've had these six months now and they've been a really peaceful bunch, not that there's any detectible aggression now, just this hiding and not eating.

Pearl gouramis are peaceful for gouramis but they are still territorial fish and males will fight over territory. Unlike some other gourami species, they do leave other fish species alone which is why they are called peaceful.

If you split them, you still need just 1 male per tank, I'm afraid. Would the shop allow you to exchange your 'spare' males for more females? As most fish in shops are juveniles, it is hard to tell the males from the females, and they should be able to sell mature males easily.

That's an idea. I might sound them out on that. They did take some Gold Gourami males off my hands a while back. I bought my gouramis on line during the lock-down and the sellers gave no guarantees as to sexes. It's been a hard lesson learning not to buy on line again.

My local aquatics shop has agreed to swop two of my males for two females, and then I'll reallocate them so that I have one male and two females in each of my tanks. Many thanks to all who responded.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back