Pea Puffer Snails! Advise Please!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nikki77D

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the best kind of snail for the pea puffer to eat? I just got two puffers that are still young so they are litteraly pea size!

my dwarf puffer loves so munch on pond snails. I had about 25-30 in the tank when I bought him. He ate all of them in 3-4 days. I was really hoping they would last longer than that. Now I pull 2-3 out of another tank once or twice a week.

Crush up pest snails & pond snails. They have to be no bigger than the puffers eyes.

Thanks for the info! But I don't have another tank to keep snails in, and I don't want to over feed the puffers. :( what should I do?

Nikki77D said:
Thanks for the info! But I don't have another tank to keep snails in, and I don't want to over feed the puffers.
sad.png
what should I do?

If the snail is too big for the puffer to eat her may let them live with him. However, some puffers will nip at the eyes and bodies of the snails.

Okay I will pick up some tiny pnd snails. The aquarium place I bought the puffers at said I can throw a couple of snails in the tank and they will multiply and the puffers will eat them as the populate, but I won't have to keep adding snails. Is this true? Or will it cause over feeding?

Nikki77D said:
Okay I will pick up some tiny pnd snails. The aquarium place I bought the puffers at said I can throw a couple of snails in the tank and they will multiply and the puffers will eat them as the populate, but I won't have to keep adding snails. Is this true? Or will it cause over feeding?

That's true as long as yours doesn't like eating the heads off the snails :)

Nikki77D said:

That's what I wanted to happen with my tank, but my puffer is a little piggie. He eats the shrimp pellets that I put in after I've already fed him a bunch of bloodworms. If it looks like food, he'll eat it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back