Partners For Dwarf Puffers

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So I am trading off some of my nicer computer stuff to a friend for a fish tank. He said he would look for a 30+ gallon tank for it so I am wondering what are my possibilities for a Dwarf Puffer tank. From what I know:

-5 Gallon Per DP
-Dp are aggressive even to there own species and need hiding spaces and own territories.
-Need snails on a regular basis (every 2 weeks min, every other day recommended)
-Plecs and Oto's may work with DP but depends in the DP personality
-Sand substance is best

So could i do anything else in the tank? I heard success stories about a community tank but I'm guessing that I would need to fast swimming with non long fins as well as larger then the DP.

Also in keeping them are there any extra stuff that would help me? I plan to budget this out somewhat. Also I have some filter media sitting on top of both of my filters for when I get the tank set up. Plant suggestions as well as landscaping suggestions would be great too since this is my first time with a tank of this scale.
 
In all honesty I wouldnt suggest putting anything other than ottos or maybe a plec and you want to make sure that those are in the tank before you add the puffer, trying to add anything to the tank once the puffers are in will more likely end in death.

You will need to make sure its heavily planted, dp's are nasty to each other and preferably 1m to 2/3females. They will need snails obviously as food but also to help keep their beaks trimmed, also live food is taken more readily than dry. You might get away with frozen food, if you have good water flo they might see it as live.
 
cool, my gf also has an interest in a Dojo Louche and has for awhile now. Would I be able to fit:

3 DP (1 male 2 female)
3 oto
1 Dojo Louche?

Since i hear there a big sand dweller and shy when there arnt to many oter around I would think it would be safe. Also what type of plec would be a good choice or would any work. Also the tank could be even bigger, it depends on what he will offer me. he is looking for a used one and the electronics I'm offering are 200-400 bucks so anything is possible.
 
You may get away with a loach, again make sure its in the tank before the puffers. For a plec, a bristlenose would be a good size for that tank 5" tops.

Ensure the plec has bogwood and a nice hiding place, slate cave, flowerpot something like that.
 
Well, I myself was able to keep a shoal of 12 zebra danios in a small 20gallon tank with 4 DPs, it worked out well. They never were nipped or bitten because they're quick. But yeah, I dunno you could try it out.
 
Ive heard that over filtration is a key to keeping them healthy and keeping the water stable. As for tankmates, Ive only heard that Oto are fine with them along with some fast moving top dwelling fish like Danio or even rasboras
 
would it be a good idea to use 2 filters in a tank rather then 1? and is there a thing as to much filtration?
 
would it be a good idea to use 2 filters in a tank rather then 1? and is there a thing as to much filtration?


No such thing as over filtration but watch that water flow, i believe they like still water. I went onto the oddballs forum as I wanted dwarf puffers but got put off by the over filtration of their tank. All I know is that they are messy so need over filtration. If you want more than one then you should cut the tank up with plants and rocks so they dont attack each other and that the water needs to be optimum at all times. Also, they need snails, ramshorns are best, the size of their eyes to keep the beaks trimmed.
Like I said, check out the oddballs forum. Betta Boy was a great help to me.
If you get them, make sure you post some pics!! :ok:
 
There are people who keep a school of cardinals/rummynose with a few dwarf puffers. The dwarf puffers kinda herd the tetra, but none of them actually get bit.
 
Bumblebee gobies are generally fine with puffers. I had two living with a pair of puffers for six months without any real problems. The biggest positive is both need frozen and/or live food (most easily bloodworms), meaning you get to house two picky eaters together.
 
Well, I myself was able to keep a shoal of 12 zebra danios in a small 20gallon tank with 4 DPs, it worked out well. They never were nipped or bitten because they're quick. But yeah, I dunno you could try it out.

I had bad experience keeping DPs with zebra/leopard danios when I first bought them without researching beforehand (my bad :blush: ) My danios were nipped on and off by the DPs. DPs are temperamental and they will attack when they feel like or when they get irritated by the other fishes' busy movements.

Now my DPs live with shrimps and no other fish :D
 
cool, my gf also has an interest in a Dojo Louche and has for awhile now. Would I be able to fit:

3 DP (1 male 2 female)
3 oto
1 Dojo Louche?

Since i hear there a big sand dweller and shy when there arnt to many oter around I would think it would be safe. Also what type of plec would be a good choice or would any work. Also the tank could be even bigger, it depends on what he will offer me. he is looking for a used one and the electronics I'm offering are 200-400 bucks so anything is possible.


Your kidding me.. shy..?

-goes crazy about my dojo's.-
 

Most reactions

Back
Top