Pairing up clowns - pics inside

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have had my occ. clown for over a year now. She was my first fish and never fails to give me some sort of laugh. The behavior of these fish is just great. Anyway, i have been wanting a black misbarred clown for some time, but had no luck finding one. Last weekend on my escapade to pick up an Oregon Blue Tort, there he was!! A tiny 3/4" black misbarred clown!! I had the guy bag him up and off i went. I acclimated the little guy and used a breeder net to hold him in for a day to help the other fish get used to him. I let him out Monday night and the war was on. The female took about 15 charges at him, took a few bites out of his tail, then went back to her host and stayed there till lights out. It was sorta sad, the little guy just hung out about 6" away from her and her host watching, looking so lonely.

P4180018.jpg

P4180017.jpg

P4180020.jpg

P4180023.jpg

P4180025.jpg

After lights out he went off to find his own place to sleep. He seemed so lonely and so tiny. Would i wake up to find him dead? Not find him at all?

This is what i woke up to

P4180003.jpg

P4180004.jpg

He won't leave her side. Always next to her. Its great, they make such a cute couple. I hope they spawn someday!!!

Those are fantastic photos!!! :kewlpics:

I never knew they would pair up if they were different colors. That might fix the problem I am having picking between the black and white and orange and white!!! :D

Truely adorable fish you have there :wub:

What is that that is hosting them?

Fantastic photos impur :D I want to get another clown for my tank as one of mine died a few weeks back :(
And he looks lonley these days. hopefully they will get along as well as yours. :thumbs:

Hi Everybody. Just joined tonight. Saw artical on Clown fish.My question is"When you buy fish, do or should you buy in pairs or simply buy a single fish?

Thanks guys!

ess17: they blacks one and the orange clowns are the same fish, just different colors. They are hosting in a frogspawn.

Craig: when you do, be sure to get one that is smaller than your current clown, and from a community tank with other clowns. This will assure a sexually immature fish, which is what you will want.

loftus: Welcome to the site!! There is lots of info here and even more friendly ppl that can help answer your questions. You can buy a pair or single fish. The problem arrises when you have 1 fish in the tank for any period of time, then add an additional clown. The first clown will have established territory in the tank, and will have changed sex to a dominant female. In this case you need either a male or sexually immature fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back