Painted backgrounds

daria maxx

Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon tank and want to paint the back and one side a dark blue color(the outside of course). A friend told me I can't paint both the back and only the one side because this would create a hall of mirrors effect with the lighting.....ultimately stressing the fish.

Is this true?

Do any of you know?

I tried to do a search to see if this had already been discussed, but found nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:D :D :D

you can use paint, but when you feel like you had enough of it and want to take it off. you will need to use some sort of paint remover and do lots and lots of scrubbing. if you are sure you want to use paint, make sure it's not oil based ( oil based will not dry on the glass, and will pill off on its own. ) and you would probley prefer a weather based paint due to all the water vapor dripping off the sides of tanks. i really don't know what i'm talking about, but you get the jist! :dunno:

I routinely paint the back and depending on where the tank is going to be located, one or both of the sides. I 2-3 coats of blackboard paint, (on the outside of course). My tanks are heavily planted so any "mirror" effects will be very small. I don't think you will have a problem.

THANKS GUYS! I just don't want to do anything that might stress out my fish. I've always painted the back of my tank, but this is the first time I've considered painting one of the sides too.

Most reactions

Back