P@h Llanelli

ryan200L

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
llanelli, wales
hi every1, i went to pets at home llanelli (my lfs) to buy some mo fish for my tank! i was browsing the tanks and saw tht the dwarf gourami was £3.91 or £1.95 for a female, so i asked the "pet advisor" which was the female coz i wernt 100% sure! he poined to a fish and said tht it was a female and it was a 100% honey gourami so i correcced him! he then bagged my male dwarf gourami! i also asked him out of couriosity what tht catfish was, i new it was some sort of an african cat and he yet again said a plec! i new he was wrong, he thenresearched it last nite and i believe it was a cuckoo catfish!

he then told me tht the aquatic albino frog can live with angelfish, rainbows, gouramis etc! so ppl, what do u think of his advice?! all views welcome!

thanks

ryan .x.
 
I think it's fair to say that P@H aren't the best place for fish or advise. I've heard many a story about how poor they are, and seen first hand that their stock isn't the best...

That being said most LFS advice seems to need to be taken with a pinch of salt...
 
IMO, if you dont have good experiences with a shop.
Take it on the chin, and dont return there.

YF
 
Hmm, Pets @ home bashing again!
They're a corporate store you're always gonna get some good and some not so!
If you weren't happy with the knowledge of their staff then educate them rather than 'testing them' they probably work there on minimum wage and will have had little if any training?

to quote" i asked the "pet advisor" which was the female coz i wernt 100% sure! he poined to a fish and said tht it was a female and it was a 100% honey gourami so i correcced him!"
how can you correct someone on something you have sought their advice for as you weren't sure???

Being a Pet advisor does not mean you are some sort of biologist. With corporate stores such as these you are better off either not going or doing your research before you go!

My opinion
 
dogson ... i knew it was a honey gourami becuase i have kept these before! i just asked the man as the male and females were priced spereratley and i was not sure the differnce of the 2!

in the past, i have some lovely fish such as 6 albino corys (good condition) and my common plec is in a great condition!

i agree that u some bad stock and some good! the only thing is, P@H are known to sell poor live stock! what can they do to fix this problem?!

ryan

.x.
 
same old bull from pets at home. they have no idea alot of them


Actually the Grantham p@h is great, I have written on here before about how obliging they are.

They give my chihuahua treats and make a fuss of her.
They test my tank's water for free.
They refuse to sell fish to people who have no filter, or who have just bought a tank.

In fact just today they tested the water in my new big(72g) cichlid tank. The results were A-1,Ni-0.25,Na1-5. I asked if they thought if I could start stocking yet, they said no bring a sample in next week and we'll try again.
So they blew their chances of a considerable sale to prevent fish suffering.

In fact I cannot see how a big pet shop could be better, I think p@h are brilliant.

Oh yes, and I bought my Hahnes Macaw from them for the bargain price of 600 quid and the bird was very well socialised and in the very best of health.

As another poster said perhaps you are expecting too much?

Do you expect a 16 year old member of staff to know as much about cichlids as a mbuna nerd?(if you see what I mean, I didn't mean to imply that you were a nerd!)




doris
 
same old bull from pets at home. they have no idea alot of them


Actually the Grantham p@h is great, I have written on here before about how obliging they are.

They give my chihuahua treats and make a fuss of her.
They test my tank's water for free.
They refuse to sell fish to people who have no filter, or who have just bought a tank.

In fact just today they tested the water in my new big(72g) cichlid tank. The results were A-1,Ni-0.25,Na1-5. I asked if they thought if I could start stocking yet, they said no bring a sample in next week and we'll try again.

In fact I cannot see how a big pet shop could be better, I think p@h are brilliant.

Oh yes, and I bought my Hahnes Macaw from them for the bargain price of 600 quid and the bird was very well socialised and in the very best of health.

As another poster said perhaps you are expecting too much?

Do you expect a 16 year old member of staff to know as much about cichlids as a mbuna nerd?(if you see what I mean, I didn't mean to imply that you were a nerd!)


doris

same here!

my p&h had a refurb and is fantastic now!
 
YoungFisher's comment has hit the nail on the head! Don't like it don't go!

quote "P@H are known to sell poor live stock! what can they do to fix this problem?!"
you have stigmatised the whole Pets@home chain with that comment.
As you can see above not all P@H are bad and many are being refurbed including my local one here @ York which is very clean and the advisors don't let the fish go into the wrong hands easily! So they are doing something about it and for them to be spending this sort of money refurbing their outlets in this economic climate has to be commended and maybe when they have finished refurbing their stores they can then turn their hand to adequately training their staff which certainly won't happen overnight!
You bought a fish from their didn't you!?!

You give the impression of a stirrer!
 
Do you expect a 16 year old member of staff to know as much about cichlids as a mbuna nerd?(if you see what I mean, I didn't mean to imply that you were a nerd!)


doris


I think this is right it must be very intimidating for any new staff dealing with people who clearly know more than you. On the other hand it must also be very difficult for an LFS to get decent staff in, particularly in shops where other types of pets are sold. I mean you cant expect a young kid to know everthing about every pet. Ive never met anyone new to my profession being up to standard straight away, its all about gaining experience and getting constructive help imo.
 
well, thinking of it, if i was working there, i wouldnt have a clue on the rabbits section but would on the fish section! so i see where ur cumming from! i have been to P@H swnasea and there great, its just my P@H lmao! they dont even sell birds anymore becuase the inspector found them to be "fed up" so they cannot sell birds there anymore!

i have just read more on the trop discussion bit and lorraine has also posted about P@H Llanelli, and she has actually had a replay from the head office! looks like were gonna have to wait and see what they intend on doing! :-)

ryan

.x.
 
My Local P@H is quite good,

they always have lots of information and make sure you have the correct set up,

i do usually go in just for plants, food, gravel, sand etc,
i get the occasional fish from there now as a few months back they got a whole new system installed, i do still sometimes see the odd dead fish but obviously dont buy fish from the same tank,

I think they get a bad rep on this forum but every store is different, ive been to some LFS and thought they were #### and just wanted your money
 
well, thinking of it, if i was working there, i wouldnt have a clue on the rabbits section but would on the fish section! so i see where ur cumming from! i have been to P@H swnasea and there great, its just my P@H lmao! they dont even sell birds anymore becuase the inspector found them to be "fed up" so they cannot sell birds there anymore!

i have just read more on the trop discussion bit and lorraine has also posted about P@H Llanelli, and she has actually had a replay from the head office! looks like were gonna have to wait and see what they intend on doing! :-)

ryan

.x.


I may be wrong but I don't think any p@h sells birds anymore, mine certainly doesn't

I think if a shop lost their selling pet's license they wouldn't be allowed to sell anything, I am fairly sure that there isn't a seperate license for each kind of animal.

doris
 

Most reactions

Back
Top