Oxygenization + Plants = R.I.P Plants

drobbins27

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Searching Lake Ontario for tropical fish...No luck
I have an undergravel filter, and the two columns on the side produce a massive amount of air, to the point where there ae always bubbles floating on the surface. Thse bubbles are pushed underwater by my External "Aquaclear-ish" filter output, which causes more oxygen into the water. There is plenty of waste in my tank due to the large number of fish. Are these conditions fine for plants? I use fertilizer

I've read that lots of bubbles and an undergravel filter are horrible for the fish. All you have to do is add CO2 supplements. To solve the filter problem, you could try potting the plants, though this would mean that they can't use teh mulm sitting in your tank. You can use potting soil, if you want, after letting it sit in water for a couple of months to make sure it doesn't mess up the water conditions. This could be a substitute for the mulm.

There are those people who have been able to keep plants in tanks like yours without any major problems. If you can get help from one of them, then you might have an easier time growing plants.

All that agitation would render CO2 addition pointless. CO2 comes out of solution very easily. The surface bubbles and ripples will also impact on the efficiency light can penetrate the water.

That said, if you have enough light, and you pick plants that can tolerate a little buffeting, I don't see why it should not be possible to grow plants. Many people, me included, have grown plants in tanks with ugf's, they may not do as well, but they certainly grew.

What may cause you trouble is Silver Dollars, they are notorious plant destroyers.

I would suggest that such a high energy environment is unsuitable for many normal fish. Certainly those in your sig.

Most reactions

Back