The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mathew1991

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
When I got up this morning some of the fish were at the top of the tank looking for oxygen I think

I do have air stone in there but that’s only set for a few hours a day should I run all the time

My 207 filter outlet and intake are on the same side of tank is that ok

Do I need to get a wave maker

Or any suggestions

Can you post a video of your tank, especially the surface so we can see the level of water agitation. And what's the current temperature in the tank?

Do you use CO2?
Does the filter disturb the surface of the water?
What size is the tank and is it cycled?
What species of fish are struggling and how long have you had them?

I don’t use co2 no
125 litre tank and yes it’s cycled
Bh tetras cardinal tetras and Mollys were all up at the top this morning had them all a few month apart from 5 bleeding heart tetras that I added yesterday

I changed all the tank deco yesterday aswell

The filter output was under the water yesterday as there was a bit to much water in

I have it just at the top now and the air stone is on so there is a lot of movement on the top now

But the fish seem fine now

Can you post a video of your tank, especially the surface so we can see the level of water agitation. And what's the current temperature in the tank?
How do I post the video only seems to let me put photo

How do I post the video only seems to let me put photo
You have to upload the video to a host like YouTube first. If you can't do that I can send you email and I can upload it for you. Once you or someone has uploaded to YouTube the rest is easy

You have to upload the video to a host like YouTube first. If you can't do that I can send you email and I can upload it for you. Once you or someone has uploaded to YouTube the rest is easy
Yer if I could send it to you please

I don’t use co2 no
125 litre tank and yes it’s cycled
Bh tetras cardinal tetras and Mollys were all up at the top this morning had them all a few month apart from 5 bleeding heart tetras that I added yesterday

I changed all the tank deco yesterday aswell

The filter output was under the water yesterday as there was a bit to much water in

I have it just at the top now and the air stone is on so there is a lot of movement on the top now

But the fish seem fine now
It was probably lack of surface agitation. Read up on that and how it impacts available oxygen. Did you check temperature?

As you have surface agitation I am more suspicious of the new fish than the oxygen levels, especially if they weren't quarantined. Any other symptoms?

Maybe send me 2 videos. One with the newly positioned filter and airstone and then briefly recreate the old position of the filter and film that as well. If you did not have the air stone on before, then turn that off when you film what the tank was like before? Does that make sense? I can post both videos. If you happy to do that, just make sure that after you film, you put the filter and airstone back to the position that causes the improved water surface agitation!

There should be plenty of oxygen with the bubbles like that.

Try turning the air pump off again tonight and see how the fish look in the morning. If they are gasping again, then either adjust the filter outlet so it's just above the surface of the water, or have the air pump running during the night.

Ok thanks
I think filter outlet might of been to far town yesterday so there wasent much movement on the top of the water and the air stone is normally only on from 4-9pm with the light

I know the tank was cycled, but have you tested ammonia and nitrite to be totally sure? Both of those in the water cause fish to gasp at the surface.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back