Overstocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

prankster705

trolololol
Reaction score
So as mentioned in the title what is overstocking to you, here are some of the options:
1. The inch per gallon rule
2. The cm per liter rule
3. Fish can normally swim around
4. Normal water parameters (amonia,nitrite: 0ppm; nitrate: ~20 ppm or below)
5. Fish can normally swim around, normal water parameters (amonia,nitrite: 0ppm; nitrate: ~20 ppm or below) and there is enough O2 for the fish to live normaly.
6. there is enough O2 for the fish to live normaly

So what does it mean to you??

PS: This isn't a poll intentionaly.

Generally Number 5. I have never been overstocked in my opinion, as long as the fish have a good space to swim around, and are lively and eating well everything is normally fine. I also check water paremeters to give me a clear indication. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but is overstocking not linked to the amount of surface area of your tank. Or have I been getting it wrong all these years.

yea forgot this option will include it

That's better I guess all of us who woted 5 still wote on it, if there is an option I forgot just say.

I think, when your starting out with fish, you should really follow the inch per gallon rule to be safe, and check water paremeters every 2-3 weeks. :)

For me it's a combination of 1, 2, 5, and surface area. Whether or not the tank is planted and what levels the current fish occupy, also influence my stocking levels. When I kept cichlids, my stocking levels weren't as high. In fact, I understocked, because cichlids, God bless them, they're messy. Heavy-bodied tetras, livebearers and heavier barbs are also more messy. But the labyrinth fish, small rasboras, and corys I keep now and will continue to keep, are not messy at all. I've yet to see one poop, whereas my livebearers and cichlids were pooping fools. :lol:

My tank looks empty since I had my heater mishap and lost 3 harlequins, but I have no plans to restock until I return from my Christmas break.

Right now I have

6 harlequins
4 corydoras pygmeus
2 betta imbellis

This is about 18 inches of fish. That's conservative, my bettas are not 2 inches long, and my rasboras aren't 1.5 inches. The fish occupy varied stratas and the tank is densly planted. Because of my experience and maintenance regimen, I can definitely add more fish. I see myself adding 4 more Harlequins and 2 more corydoras. That would make it 26.5 inches of fish, which is 1.75 inches per gallon. I'm much closer to 1cm per liter rule. But I figure with the types of setups I have and the fish I keep, I can easily have 2 inches per gallon, and have excellent water parameter. Lots of live plants make a big difference. I will shut up now, but thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinions in this thread. :)

basically if i look at a tank and think "there are too many fish in there" then it is proberbly overstocked.

I think its a combination of all of them and a healthy dose of common sense.

I personally use the 1" to a gallon rule as a starter. Following that, you have to take into account any that may be big waste producers or messy eaters. Then have a look at your maintainence regieme and your hardware specs.

Another point to consider is that by overstocked a tank can have an incompatible set of inhabitants.
Although that may just be splitting heirs in the definition! :wink:

I use the inch per gallon rule, and if I think I'm overdoing it, I ask people on the forums ^^ Whats the cm per litre rule? I've never heard of it, but I'm guessing it isn't 1:1 because then a 115 litre tank could hold a whole lot of fish 0.o

I don't use any rules, I've been keeping fish long enough to know when enough is enough :) My tanks are overstocked by any measure of distance per gallon rule :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back