Overstocked

GShorty1981

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
1,577
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
I'm overstocked but do frequent water changes to combat it (every other day) my water quality is always perfect,my ph is 6.8...

What is your opinions on my stocking? I mean they crowd Malawi's all the time so is it really that much of a issue? all i have lost since i started this tank 5 months ago was 2 cardinals about a month ago (2 days after i bought them).

They are all tiny fish so surely dont produce alot of waste.

My stocking and tank dimensions are in my signature.

the 2x black neons,4x harlequins were given to me..hence the low numbers.

I really want to add 3 Corydoras panda..maybe that will push it far to much?

on the plus side of me cheating on stocking the tank looks amazing! :P
 
I'm overstocked but do frequent water changes to combat it (every other day) my water quality is always perfect,my ph is 6.8...

What is your opinions on my stocking? I mean they crowd Malawi's all the time so is it really that much of a issue? all i have lost since i started this tank 5 months ago was 2 cardinals about a month ago (2 days after i bought them).

They are all tiny fish so surely dont produce alot of waste.

My stocking and tank dimensions are in my signature.

the 2x black neons,4x harlequins were given to me..hence the low numbers.

I really want to add 3 Corydoras panda..maybe that will push it far to much?

on the plus side of me cheating on stocking the tank looks amazing! :P

Your tank is around the same size as mine. Ive been thinking that ive added one or two fish more than I should but I cant understand how your fish can move around? It sounds like a tin of sardines!
 
theres tons of space :S

Its a total of 32" of fish in a 28 us gallon tank so by the old rule its only overstocked by 4" and they say after 6 months you can overstock safely so its not to bad.

the neons,blacks,glowlights,cardinals all stay in the middle at the front shoaling together,the harlequins all shoal together at one side of the tank,the cherry barbs hide in the rock at the bottom,my shrimp hides near the filter,snails are usually amognst the hair grass having a munch on algae and the livebearers are always around the top.
 
Its a total of 32" of fish in a 28 us gallon tank so by the old rule its only overstocked by 4" and they say after 6 months you can overstock safely so its not to bad.

Current sizes, I take it? From your list, ignoring the invertebrates, you're just under 50 inches. 2" per gallon with strong filtration and the sort of maintenance regime you have should be sustainable, but I wouldn't go pushing it much beyond where it is.
 
The inch per gallon rule is not a proper guideline so dont follow it. With the stocking youve got to take into account the maximum size of the fish.

Aslong as you have strong filtration,frequent water changes and the fish have enough room to swim happily then you should be alright imo.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top