Overstocked tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nearos Samourai

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have a fish tank about 65 to 70 liters with two dwarf gouramis (male and female) 6 neon tetras, 4 tiger barbs, a nerite snail and a small pleco which i will probably give to a friend when he will become too large for the tank, the ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 and the plants are thriving, the fishes look happy, the only problem is that i have to clean the filter more often. So, do you think that it its overstocked, or will i have problems in the future or something?

(Sorry for my bad english)

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

You do have a problem which may not seem like one at present but is almost certain to become very serious before toolong, as the fish settle. The problem is the Tiger Barb. This fish is a notorious fin nipper, and should never be in a tank with sedate fish like gourami. But perhaps even worse, it needs a larger group of its own, at least 8 but a few more than this is better, and this group must have a tank that is at least 30 inches (75 cm) in length, such as a basic 29/30 gallon. In a small group like four, and in this small a tank (65 liters is less than 20 gallons) you will soon have serious issues if the fish are at all normal for their species. It would be advisable to remove the four TB, perhaps the store will take them.

Once that is dealt with, you could increase the neons with a few more, that would improve their welfare.

Actually your English is just fine not poor at all:good: @Byron is spot on, Tiger Barbs are nice looking fish but can be nasty toward other fish. If your tank is a 65lt long that would be best for the neon tetra since they like to swim, I have a 55 gallon tetra tank with 4 types of tetras including neon. They all like to shoal in groups of at least 6 but the more the better. I have groups of 10. They also come from South American Jungle Streams so they like shade and do not like bright light. I use floating plants to shade them and it helps reduce their stress. It is important to have hiding places for them too. The less stress the longer they will live. Enjoy your fish.:fish:

Guess I will just go return the tiger barbs to the pet shop, actually I have thought about them and how will they interact with the gourami but I never saw something crazy, just sometimes they were nipping at them but everyone seemed energetic,though I was still anxious if this behavior gonna cause problems eventually, so yeah. Thanks a lot ✌️

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back