Outdoor aquarium fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Callisto405

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to start a fish tank outside on the lanai. I live in southern florida. What type of fish would this be possible with? I could get a heater to help in the winter time but what would i do about the heat of the summer. I don't have a $1,000 for a chiller either. Any thoughts?

What are your native fish? I would go with the native species since they've figured out the temperature, and then try to recreate the biotope.
Never considered native fish. Very interesting. I can probably keep the temperature right at or under 85f with the use of fans

Never considered native fish. Very interesting. I can probably keep the temperature right at or under 85f with the use of fans
Since you live in Florida, consider the Florida Flag Fish. Not very large, but with a large pond you can keep several breeding harems. The males are pretty flashy when breeding. I had 3 of them in my 29 gallon, although when I lost my male I moved the ladies to a 10 gallon.

What's 'funny' here is that there are so many tropical fish species being bred and grown out in ponds in Florida. With some modest consideration for the occasional hot and cold spells, almost any tropical fish can be raised and bred in Florida.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back