Otocinclus & Corydoras OK in same tank ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

As per title, can I keep these together - 241 ltr planted tank ?

Thanks in advance

Sure you can. Perfect tankmates. Why not ?
Otos are.primarely on the herbivorious side of the spectrum and Corys on the carnivorious one.

For both : Get healthy ones (not skinny) + put them in a matured tank.
Certainly, otos need a mature tank to survive, with plenty of surface algae....otos constantly forage on algae, and will starve if there is not enough algae/biofilm in the tank.

Certainly, otos need a mature tank to survive, with plenty of surface algae....otos constantly forage on algae, and will starve if there is not enough algae/biofilm in the tank.

Is there a commercial food they would accept ?

Is there a commercial food they would accept ?
They will graze on algae wafers, but algae is the main staple of their diet

They also love blanched veggies, but need algae

Ok, but how would you determine there is enough algae to support a small group of as 8-10 ? my tank does not seem to suffer from excess algae.

Is there a way I can be sure they will OK in the tank ? (not starve or be underfed)

A tank should have been running at least 6 months after cycling before getting otos. They need a mature tank as well as algae.

It is possible to grow algae for otos. This just involves keeping a few rocks in a glass container in tank water on the sunniest widow sill you have. When algae has grown on the rocks, one of them is placed in the tank, then when that's been cleaned it is returned to the container and another algae covered rock put in the tank.

A tank should have been running at least 6 months after cycling before getting otos. They need a mature tank as well as algae.

It is possible to grow algae for otos. This just involves keeping a few rocks in a glass container in tank water on the sunniest widow sill you have. When algae has grown on the rocks, one of them is placed in the tank, then when that's been cleaned it is returned to the container and another algae covered rock put in the tank.

Thank you Essjay. think I may leave that idea a little longer. Back to the drawing board on what if anything to add to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back