Other Foods

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Irishlax627

Reaction score
Vie heard a rumor that you can feed fish a variety of different foods besides flakes and the things you buy at your LFS. For example I've heard you can feed them cucumber if you cut them into circle slices. Does anyone know if any of this holds any water?

Its true
I feed my fish flakes about 5 days a week ,bloodworms 1 day a week and brine shrimp 1 day a week.Ive just started feeding my catfish a slice of cucumber once a week and,on advice received here ,leave it weighed down in the tankfor 12 hours
Of course other people will have different feeding routines and it depends on what type of fish you have

yah it's a good idea to feed different things it makes life for them less routine. i don't feed them as often as i should but once ever 2 days is how i feed sometimes live sometimes flake and so on

if you've gonna feed live foods be carefull about parasites and things i like to give it a dose of anti-paracidic medication a few days b4 feeding and then jus change the water about 1 day b4 i feed it so it's not goint to get into the tank.

In the betta section there was a thread a couple of days ago about feeding bananas to your fish :)

Peas get fed a lot as well, not only do most fish love them, they make sure the bowels will 'keep on going' as well

Cucumber is loved by all plecs and most other suckermouth fish as well. I've never seen any of my other fish go for them though

I've also heard of grapes being fed to fish as well as spinache, zuchini, cabbage ... and probably a lot more

Depending on the fish leaf lettuce (romain, boston, spinach, etc.) can be clipped into the tank for nibbling. Zucchini and some other squashes work too, and lately I've been using frozen chopped spinach for a quick and easy one.

you can feed loads of things to your fish to keep them happy such as

daphnia,cucumber,peas,lettuce,bloodworm,insects,zucchini etc

but daphnia is a really good one for most fish.It helps the digestion systems and they seem to love it
and plecs love cucumber.
experiment!

My mollies went crazy over bloodworms. They loved them. I thought it was funny to watch them with half of blood worm hanging out thier mouths, they was trying to swallow them real fast so they could beat the others from getting any..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back