Osmocote Root Tabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was recently looking for a decent pack of root tabs to purchase for my nutrient hungry plants and after a bit of exploring I decided to purchase some osmocote root tabs which are readily available on eBay. I bought a pack of 20 for £3. The root tab is enclosed in a natural shell of some sort that apparently dissolves after a few seconds in water. The instructions say I should plant one for every 30cm sq of tank base but I'll just place one under any plant that actually needs it. The nutrients it contains are;

• 17% Nitrogen
  • 9% Phosphorous Pentoxide
  • 11% Potassium Oxide
  • 2% Magnesium Oxide
  • 0.01% Boron
  • 0.025% Copper
  • 0.022% Iron
  • 0.008 Zinc
I'm not particularly fond of any of the root tabs that the popular aquarium manufacturers sell which is why I decided to give these a try. I'm going to place a root tab under the crypt and new amazon sword in my aquarium and track the progress with photos. Lighting or liquid fertilizers won't change at all during the period of time I'll be trying this. 

grsacjh.jpg

gzMhK1z.jpg

This is a Cryptocoryne Costata I must've had for 6 or 7 months now. It's doing okay but it started developing some light yellow leaves and had a bit of an algae issue until my SAE cleaned it all up. It's not doing that badly, but I reckon it can look miles better with a bit of attention.

mY8qc5v.jpg

I only bought this amazon sword about two weeks ago, so I believe the brown leaves just melted but the smaller green leaves are getting a bit yellow and brown as well so we'll see if these root tabs help at all.

jVzFI4S.jpg

Not familiar with Crypts, sadly. But as for the sword, older leaves melting when first planted is to be expected as they are grown emersed. And yes they are heavy root feeders. One thing though it is planted a little too deep. Try exposing the crown. Osmocote is a good fert.

Yes, I concur with frapadoodle.  Carefully take hold of the plant at the base and raise it just to the substrate level so the crown is not buried.

Echinodorus are heavy feeders as mentioned.  You don't mention if you are using liquid fertilizer or not, but you should, first.  Some nutrients are only taken up via the leaves, but all nutrients dissolved in the water coluymn will get to the roots as well.  Substrate fertilizer is beneficial to swords, but I have been able to maintain healthy swords in tanks with just once a week dosing of a complete liquid.  I also use the substrate tabs next to my larger swords as it does make a difference.

I have been using Flourish Tabs for the larger swords and red tiger lotus for several years with I think good results.  I have read from others of success with the osmocote so that should be fine.  But I would get a comprehensive liquid if you are not already using one.

Another issue that occurs to me is the "hard" minerals like calcium which are not included in the osmocote list.  Swords use a lot of calcium.  It may be sufficient from your source water...do you know the GH?

Byron.

Byron said:
Yes, I concur with frapadoodle.  Carefully take hold of the plant at the base and raise it just to the substrate level so the crown is not buried.

Echinodorus are heavy feeders as mentioned.  You don't mention if you are using liquid fertilizer or not, but you should, first.  Some nutrients are only taken up via the leaves, but all nutrients dissolved in the water coluymn will get to the roots as well.  Substrate fertilizer is beneficial to swords, but I have been able to maintain healthy swords in tanks with just once a week dosing of a complete liquid.  I also use the substrate tabs next to my larger swords as it does make a difference.

I have been using Flourish Tabs for the larger swords and red tiger lotus for several years with I think good results.  I have read from others of success with the osmocote so that should be fine.  But I would get a comprehensive liquid if you are not already using one.

Another issue that occurs to me is the "hard" minerals like calcium which are not included in the osmocote list.  Swords use a lot of calcium.  It may be sufficient from your source water...do you know the GH?

Byron.

I do dose liquid fertilizers, we talked over it all a few days ago haha.

My water is hard so I doubt calcium is going to be a problem really.

508 said:

Byron.

I do dose liquid fertilizers, we talked over it all a few days ago haha.

My water is hard so I doubt calcium is going to be a problem really.

Yes, I checked back through my threads and found it.  My suggestions there obviously still apply.  I think the lighting is likely an issue.  B.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back