Oscar tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I agree that tinfoil barbs can get huge, but most fish only grow to the space you provide them and if in say 4-5 years time they are to big you can always move them on.

This is not a responsible approach to choosing fish, there is some truth to fish stunting them selves but this is cruel and can lead to health issues and deformities. With fish like tinfoil barbs there are dozens of alternatives- auralis, filliament and spanner barbs spring to mind immediately but there are even some that look near identical but so not attain the same size.

There are always alternatives to big fish and it’s down to us as aquarists to do the research and source the right fish for our aquariums.

Wills

This is not a responsible approach to choosing fish, there is some truth to fish stunting them selves but this is cruel and can lead to health issues and deformities. With fish like tinfoil barbs there are dozens of alternatives- auralis, filliament and spanner barbs spring to mind immediately but there are even some that look near identical but so not attain the same size.

There are always alternatives to big fish and it’s down to us as aquarists to do the research and source the right fish for our aquariums.

Wills
spanner barbs that's one for my other post

The beat tank mates for Oscars are water, gravel and the filter intake. I'm not trying to be a wise guy with that remark. Oscars are a fish unto their own and are best as species only, as are most fish.

Hi I have experiences with Oscars and Flowerhorn and i'd suggest it's a horrible idea - as mentioned above , flowerhorns are too aggressive for a water puppy like an oscar.

My oscars are currently housed with green terrors, blue acaras & a jack dempsey and previously housed with festae before. In my experience as long as the oscar is the biggest in the tank you shouldnt have much to worry about (as there are stories of green terrors/jack dempsey beating up oscars).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back