Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Oscar/predatory Fish Tank Size

Discussion in 'Predatory Fish' started by chriscaruso12, Jun 22, 2016.

1. chriscaruso12

chriscaruso12 New Member

So recently I've been wanting to expand my hobby as a fish keeper, and really just wanted larger and more aggressive fish as most fish hobbyists do. Being that I own two ten gallon tanks and one twenty-nine gallon, I really want a large, and more beefy tank to keep larger and more fish in. That being said I don't want to buy a tank, but more or less make my own. I've seen numerous tutorials on how to make the stand and tank, and I have knowledge in woodworking and other essential techniques that would be needed to make it. The only question I have is how large of a tank would I need to house several large Oscars, or other fish such as those rainbow bass I've seen. I want to do live feedings as well as dry. Please comment with how many gallons the tank would need, and possible dimensions on a large and comfortable environment for these fish to live in.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Far_King

Far_King Member

3. Austinbeith

Austinbeith New Member

You want to build to support twice as much as you plan on putting on the frame to be on the safe side. I would definitely go with steel for a tank this size.

4. Metalhead88

Metalhead88 Fish Fanatic

Those peacock bass are massive fish. This is a pretty decent video demonstrating the size, behavior and tank that you'd need to house these fish
    I think even that tank is on the small size for his stocking.

You're pretty much looking at a 300 gallon tank to house multiple oscars and peacock bass permanently.

1 oscar alone would require a 55 gallon minimum.

I think a 6ft (either 125, 150, or 180) would be a good fit for what you want to work with here. You'd be able to keep a couple of oscars and some other tankmates that don't get quite as large as a peacock bass.

Here's a little chart for standard sized aquariums http://www.kernsanalysis.com/TankSize.html

If you are building your own, I'd build it specifically for the space that you plan to keep it in.