Oscar/predatory Fish Tank Size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chriscaruso12

Reaction score
So recently I've been wanting to expand my hobby as a fish keeper, and really just wanted larger and more aggressive fish as most fish hobbyists do. Being that I own two ten gallon tanks and one twenty-nine gallon, I really want a large, and more beefy tank to keep larger and more fish in. That being said I don't want to buy a tank, but more or less make my own. I've seen numerous tutorials on how to make the stand and tank, and I have knowledge in woodworking and other essential techniques that would be needed to make it. The only question I have is how large of a tank would I need to house several large Oscars, or other fish such as those rainbow bass I've seen. I want to do live feedings as well as dry. Please comment with how many gallons the tank would need, and possible dimensions on a large and comfortable environment for these fish to live in.

You want to build to support twice as much as you plan on putting on the frame to be on the safe side. I would definitely go with steel for a tank this size.

Those peacock bass are massive fish. This is a pretty decent video demonstrating the size, behavior and tank that you'd need to house these fish
I think even that tank is on the small size for his stocking.

You're pretty much looking at a 300 gallon tank to house multiple oscars and peacock bass permanently.

1 oscar alone would require a 55 gallon minimum.

I think a 6ft (either 125, 150, or 180) would be a good fit for what you want to work with here. You'd be able to keep a couple of oscars and some other tankmates that don't get quite as large as a peacock bass.

Here's a little chart for standard sized aquariums http://www.kernsanalysis.com/TankSize.html

If you are building your own, I'd build it specifically for the space that you plan to keep it in.

I have made stands using all 2x4's and have to say that they are many times stronger than any store bought stand I ever seen

Well this is a pretty old thread. I really feel that a 55g isn't enough for an oscar, its only 12 inches wide. 75g is the min for one. There are even people that have been keeping oscars for quite some time that believe they shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than 100g. 75g would do okay imo.

Had a friend that had 2 oscar in a 100 gallon which seem to worked out well, he had a large pile of rocks and some drift wood in the center.

So recently I've been wanting to expand my hobby as a fish keeper, and really just wanted larger and more aggressive fish as most fish hobbyists do. Being that I own two ten gallon tanks and one twenty-nine gallon, I really want a large, and more beefy tank to keep larger and more fish in. That being said I don't want to buy a tank, but more or less make my own. I've seen numerous tutorials on how to make the stand and tank, and I have knowledge in woodworking and other essential techniques that would be needed to make it. The only question I have is how large of a tank would I need to house several large Oscars, or other fish such as those rainbow bass I've seen. I want to do live feedings as well as dry. Please comment with how many gallons the tank would need, and possible dimensions on a large and comfortable environment for these fish to live in.
3 (maybe 4) oscars would be fine in a tank about 60"Lx36"Wx24"H (200 gallons). Don't know about the peacocks though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back