Oscar needs help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

denas

Reaction score
I am treating him with a medicine called "Oxytetracyn". It has only been two days, but he seems to be doing a little better. My question is, he also has what looks like stringy see through slime that is floating around his body and it is caught on his scales and fins. It is also floating around in the water. I seen in the store where they had a medicine that treated parasites and it showed a picture of sqwiggly lines attached to the scales and fins. Is there a big difference between what a parasite looks like and what stringy slime looks like, or is it possible that the stringy lime that I am seeing could really be a parasite?

Tough one to call. The first thing you should do is test your water. If quality is ok then you look at other possibilities. Was he a tank raised or wild caught fish? If it was reared in a Hong Kong/far eastern fish farm they may (rarely) harbour Anchor Worm. These will be 'buried' into the fishes flesh, making it look sore. Otherwise it may just be hyperproduction of skin slime due to bacterial or pathogenic problems. Keep a real eye on it. I could come up with any number of possibilities, even Hexamita (hole in the head disease) could be a possibility. Keep us informed as to the results of your water test and we'll take it from there. :)

Oxytetracyn isn't an all that great of a med for cichlids. That is normally used for coldwater fish (ie. catfish and goldfish.)

I've never heard of "stringy see thru slime" floating before.

Is there any way possible to get a pic for us?

If you're looking for a wide spectrum anti-bacterial med, try Melafix until someone can figure out what this is.

I went to the pet store today and got the Melafix. I am also going to be treating with a sulfate based antibiotic per the Petsmart lady. The slime that was on him is already going away after the second dose of the Oxytetracyn, but it is not working very fast. He is still not eating. The lady at the pet store gave me some information on what to feed him to keep him on a variety diet once he gets better. I have pictures, but I'm not sure how to get them onto this page. Can someone help with that?

I have pictures, but I'm not sure how to get them onto this page. Can someone help with that?

Yes, email me and I will host the pics for you until one of us can solve this problem for you. :)

I work 8am-4pm EST so please allow for my time difference to post it if you choose this method. :)

sure, what is your email address? It says private on your profile.

I never got the email address, so I can't get you any pictures, because I don't know how to put them out here. I you know who I can post the digital pictures, please let me know. I am new at this.

But I can give an update. I started using the Melafix in combination with Erythromycin tablets about 3 days ago. I am keeping the salt going and the temp up to around 80. His cotton patches are going away and there are signs of new scales in several of the bad areas. The Hole in the head is getting better also, it is turning dark grey and filling in. He is now bleeding on the skin on a major portion of his bad area though. I am going to give him one more day of E.M. Tablets, and keep the melafix going for another 4 days. Then I will have to stop for a week. He is not eating, and I am told to put him on a diet of Beef Heart, shredded frozen spinach, vitamins and yeast powder mixed and thawed.

I hope he likes it, it is suppose to give him all the nutrients that he needs, but it doesn't look or sound good at all.

Most reactions

Back