Oscar may be loosing eye

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SandMan8388

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is very important!!! I love my Oscar and it is looking like his eye is clouding up and it has a tear of some sort in it. It is getting progressively worse and i want to save it before he goes blind! Please someone help me!!! I have raised him since birth and he is full gorwn now!

Ive seen many Oscars and Piranha's with this, I believe it is pop-eye. You can find meds for it, but I think a lot of the time it is incurable. Is this what it looks like?

8(cloudPopEye).jpg

Good luck.

DB :fish:

SandMan8388 said:
This is very important!!! I love my Oscar and it is looking like his eye is clouding up and it has a tear of some sort in it. It is getting progressively worse and i want to save it before he goes blind! Please someone help me!!! I have raised him since birth and he is full gorwn now!
Do you feed him live fish?

The eye is not protruding from the socket, it looks like it has a layer of skin over it almost. And in the middle of the eye it has a tear, not very deep though. Yes I do feed him live fish.

Honestly I am somewhat confused on what to do. I have a 75g tank with two tiger oscars, and also a 100g filter, that still isnt helping much. The tank is realatively new and yet the gravel is filthy! Should I get another 100g filter? Or turn my oscars and try a little less "dirty" fish? With a less dirty fish means better health for tank, I mean I've already gone through ick, and now popeye (In a 2month period)? Doesn't this seem a little ridiculous?

Well have you cycled your tank?? Do you do frequent water changes??

Feeding live fish extremely increases the chance of diseases as feeder fish carry many diseases. Live fish isnt very heathy for oscars and i would suggest things liek brine shrimp and krill. They are much healthier. Live fish could be your problem. What are your water readings right now???

Yes my tank is cycled, I cycled it for a month when I set it up. Maybe that was my problem though (feeding live fish). Well his fungus infection has now become popeye. It looks like now he has it in both of his eyes. I am going to try medicating the tank. Once he's rid of the symptoms I'm going to proably convert over to convict cichlids, maybe I will have a little better luck and less dirty tank. Also I think I am going to invest in another filter of the same or smaller size, maybe 60g?

Most reactions

Back