Oscar fight!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Dominance and submissiveness in its raw animalistic form.....distressing to watch sometimes but totally natural behaviour

I guess it looks worse cos they are big fish in a relatively confined area - especially with the Pleco trying to be referee unsuccessfully

They will sort things out when they are ready to move to the next step in their relationship...either to get jiggy with it or to just tolerate each other being there

All fish do this to find out who is boss, who is submissive, who can be pushed around and who is up for mating (my Rams constantly spar with each other...its what they do to assert themselves)

Tbh splitting them up with a divider will likely make matters worse as they need to get this behaviour out of their system.

Your video needs background music

Dominance and submissiveness in its raw animalistic form.....distressing to watch sometimes but totally natural behaviour

I guess it looks worse cos they are big fish in a relatively confined area - especially with the Pleco trying to be referee unsuccessfully

They will sort things out when they are ready to move to the next step in their relationship...either to get jiggy with it or to just tolerate each other being there

All fish do this to find out who is boss, who is submissive, who can be pushed around and who is up for mating (my Rams constantly spar with each other...its what they do to assert themselves)

Tbh splitting them up with a divider will likely make matters worse as they need to get this behaviour out of their system.
Us this really supposed to still be going on. The one isn't trying to fight back at all anymore. Hasn't for hours.

Ok. So, I live my Oscar's too much. I know.
The other day I posted about my Oscars fighting and people told me it looked like mating behavior. How can you tell the difference? This has been going on for days. I think maybe they are a breeding pair. But the female isn't ready to lay eggs yet. My electric blue Acaras kinda did that.
Is the erect fast flicker of the tail honey? Or hatred? Also, in videos of mating I notice a small tick. Or jersey coming from male. The aggressor in my tank is doing this also. I'm just asking fir some more advice . They have missing scales, torn fins. Bruises...I believe mainly from the decor. But how long do I let this go on?

How big is the aquarium they are in?
The maring behaviour of oscars can be quite violent and brutal. So it very well could be a mating pair if they are opposite sexes.
I would watch them and if it gets really bad then place a net in between them near the center of the tank until you know what to do with them (that's only if it gets out of hand).
But really cool if they are breeding!

How big is the aquarium they are in?
The maring behaviour of oscars can be quite violent and brutal. So it very well could be a mating pair if they are opposite sexes.
I would watch them and if it gets really bad then place a net in between them near the center of the tank until you know what to do with them (that's only if it gets out of hand).
But really cool if they are breeding!
I put a net divider in between the other day but everybody in this forum told me that's a bad idea but I got a 125 gallon long tank it's 6' long

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back