Oscar + CAE = ???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

A

AquaNut

Here's my little story. I have a CAE who needs a new home. I bought him years ago, before I knew wth I was doing with fish. He isn't as big as he would be if I hadn't housed him in a 10 gallon tank for about two years. Anyway, he lives in my 45 gallon community right now, and he's grown tons in the last couple of months since being put in there. Although he was getting aggressive in the 10 he used to be in, he was a real pet when I moved him to bigger digs. In the last few days, however, I've seen him take a run at at least half a dozen different fish. I haven't been able to see any damage yet, and he isn't reallllllly going after them, but I recognize the signs of territorialism and aggression, and there are too many nice fish in that tank to take any chances. I have a one gallon tank waiting, and I've tried a few times to catch him today, but it's insanely tricky because of all the plants, rocks, and wood in there, not to mention his speed. I know I'll get him eventually, using the two net system, but I'm trying not to totally traumatize my silver dollars in the process. ANYWAY (man, can I ever ramble), my lfs can't really take him, but somebody offered to take him to put in with an oscar. I've never had an oscar, so really don't know if that's reasonable. Her belief is that the CAE is wayyyy too fast for oscar to catch, and that oscar is too big for the CAE to bother. The CAE is about 5" right now (but growing like stink in a big tank), and the oscar is about 6". I don't want to sentence the CAE to certain death. Can anybody help?

Nobody even has an opinion? :( Did I post this in the wrong spot?

Sorry Aquanut. You must have posted after I logged off last night. I see you got your question answered in another thread tho. :)

No worries, smb. :) I just figured this is where the oscar keepers would hang out. lol I'm kind of glad the answer was no anyway, because I feel good about my decision to keep him. He's a cool fish; it's not his fault the other fish in the tank are wusses. lol

Most reactions

Back