Opinions On This Light?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys, 

I stumbled upon a video on youtube recommending these lights for aquariums with plants. 

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Flood-Light-White-Lighting/dp/B00CBZ3A7W/ref=pd_tcs_subst_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=07Y9D8QV9TZWP9SA3SC1

I have a 10 gallon tank currently with java moss, java fern and anubias although I'm thinking of adding some more plants in the future. If I did buy the light I would have it sitting on top of my tank's mesh lid. 

I just wanted some opinions on if this light would be a good fit for my tank? 

THANKS! :D

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ive just fitted the new interpet led light bar range in my three tanks. they are good quality and come with a range of fitting options. they really are quite good.

starlitsunrise said:
If I did buy the light I would have it sitting on top of my tank's mesh lid. 

I suspect that might be too bright.  20W of LED lighting sounds like a lot for your size tank to me, especially since anubias and java fern are low-light plants.

Thanks to both of you for replying!

daizeUK said:

If I did buy the light I would have it sitting on top of my tank's mesh lid. 

I suspect that might be too bright.  20W of LED lighting sounds like a lot for your size tank to me, especially since anubias and java fern are low-light plants.

If I had it held above the tank, but not right on top would that help? 

Possibly, if it's too bright then you could raise it as high as you like, but with that 120° spread then a lot of the light would be wasted since it's a small tank.  Personally I don't think this light is suitable for your tank but get a second opinion since I don't use LED or pendant lights.

The other thing to keep in mind when considering suspended lighting is that the dispersed light that daize mentioned will shine directly into your eyes when you are sitting in front of the tank.  The only way to get around this is to have a canopy that extends from the tank frame up to the lights.

I've no practical experience with LED so won't say yay or nay on the lights linked, but daize's advice is well worth considering; once you have too bright/intense a light, you will have continual problems with algae, so make sure you get what will work.

Byron.

That is also true, I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for your reply!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back