Opinions on overhead aquarium lights?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™ve recently modified my aquarium because I love modern looking fish tanks. Iā€™ve replaced the cover/ lid with a clear condensation cover cut to size and added an overhead light. Iā€™ve recently upgraded the aquarium from a fluval spec so I love the open lid style design. However this just has a clear cover, and Iā€™m pleased that it still looks stylish enough. I think overhead lights apply that modern look to a fish tank. So my question is what are your opinions on overhead lights? I have a 10 gallon fish tank with 3 male guppies I do keep love plant too. Thank you.

Last edited:
I've never liked the idea of suspended lighting (that is not actually sitting on the tank frame so there is air space between the tank top/cover and the lighting fixture--I assume this is what you are talking about here) though I have never tried it. For one thing, when sitting in front of the aquarium, suspended lighting is shining down into your eyes as well as the tank. I have seen this in store display tanks and would not want it at home.

Unless you spend a fortune on overhead lights, you typically won't get the light intensity you need for plants. With rare exception (I have LED shop lights hanging above my 110g stock tank in the basement) I'd agree that tank lights are much better.
I have a 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 running in 24/7 mode on a timer from 6am - midnight on my low tech planted 60g.
I think the 24/7 offers the most realistic lighting that mimics nature with sunrise, midday, sunset, moonlight. It is surreal.

I've never liked the idea of suspended lighting (that is not actually sitting on the tank frame so there is air space between the tank top/cover and the lighting fixture--I assume this is what you are talking about here) though I have never tried it. For one thing, when sitting in front of the aquarium, suspended lighting is shining down into your eyes as well as the tank. I have seen this in store display tanks and would not want it at home.
You are correct Byron this is what I meant.

I have a Perspex sheet as my lid now thatā€™s the only difference.

I agree the light can be bright on this sometimes when looking from a certain angle.

Note: this isnā€™t my permanent heater, Iā€™m awaiting the arrival of a new digital one as the last broke. Hence the low waterline, the heater is not submersible.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 298F8A9B-2EEF-4DE7-BC59-D4D79A9C05ED.jpeg
    298F8A9B-2EEF-4DE7-BC59-D4D79A9C05ED.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 130
Unless you spend a fortune on overhead lights, you typically won't get the light intensity you need for plants. With rare exception (I have LED shop lights hanging above my 110g stock tank in the basement) I'd agree that tank lights are much better.
I have a 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 running in 24/7 mode on a timer from 6am - midnight on my low tech planted 60g.
I think the 24/7 offers the most realistic lighting that mimics nature with sunrise, midday, sunset, moonlight. It is surreal.
Thatā€™s a lot of light!

Iā€™m not sure if mine isnā€™t strong enough for plants or not. Only time will reveal I guess.

All I know is that this is probably more than twice as bright as the original lighting that came with the tank.

It was quite dull.

Most reactions

Back