Opinions On Cichlid Aquariums

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

How big is the tank footprint? Each aggressive cichlid will need at least 2 feet of territory

its 6ft.2    ..... but other people have said you can have more problems if the cichlids establish a territory, so if there is more fish they wont be able to establish one and hold off all the other cichlids, but if there is only 2 they are going to fight over the whole tank

If I understand correctly that theory is applied specifically  to malawi cichlids, not SA.

+1 to this. With African lake cichlids that applies. With SA cichlids they will bully or possibly kill each other until each fish has a satisfactory territory. Well knowing that your tank has a 6 foot length, you can probably house three large cichlids of different aggressive or semi-aggressive species. It seems however you are interested in housing a larger number of fish. Might I suggest going with more peaceful species? This will allow you higher stocking levels.

Look up Severums, Uarus, Psittacus, and Chocolate cichlids. These are gentle giants and you can probably keep a group of 3 or 4 and along with them you can keep a group of 4-5 geophagus cichlids (Tapajos and altifrons are some beautiful ones). And maybe just maybe on top of that you can add a single Oscar (Oscars aren't actually too aggressive). Add your catfish and silver dollars you'd be set. That would make for a very beautiful display in my opinion.

Alternately you can go for the semi-aggressive community. Pick 3 of your favorites and build a tank around them choosing tankmates that can survive the large cichlids. If you really must insist on going for 4 large cichlids, give it a try. You might get lucky and they'll grow up in harmony, but be prepared to re-home one or lose it to fighting

PS I just saw your reply on your other thread. check out my reply there as well

Most reactions

trending

Back