Opinions and questions about killifish?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Navfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm starting a new tank (10 gallons) and was thinking of getting some Gardneri Panchax Killifish.
Some questions: how many killifish in a 10 gallon? (it is going to be a heavily planted/ maybe botanical style aquarium)
Can I put only males? (I want them for the males color and don't want to deal with the hassle of them breeding)

I heard it's great for beginners but I want to know what you guys think about them.

A trio of Fundulopanchax gardneri, one male and two females, can live in a 10 gallon. Male only tank for just 10 gallons of water is probably not going to be a good idea. Males can be aggressive with one another and may constantly fight.

Last edited:
A trio of Fundulopanchax gardneri, one male and two females, can live in a 10 gallon. Male only tank for just 10 gallons of water is probably not going to be a good idea. Males can be aggressive with one and may constantly fight.
Thank you! Also, would having some neon tetras in the tank with them work (about 4-5) or would it not?

Fundulopanchax gardneri they can get aggressive towards neon tetras, has been mentioned 1 male to 2 females,
or a larger group of 3 to 4 pairs

I like Killifish in species only tanks. If you want to breed then other fish will be an unwanted distraction and will devour the eggs. Go to the website of The American Killifish Association and look at the free online Beginners Guide , that will answer all your basic questions.

Most reactions

Back