One of my Favorite movies

TwoTankAmin24

Fish Maniac
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
7,585
Reaction score
4,819
Points
113
Location
USA- NY
Yes, it is a B&W film, But it is one I have watched a few trimes over the years and enjoyed every minute of it. Play it in full screen. It is a free version.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to say what it is. I don't blind click on outside links like that, and as a mod, I have to cut them off as potential security risks, especially with 'ru' in the file.
 
The movie was Harvey from 1950.
Yes, the 1950 comedy-drama Harvey starring James Stewart is widely considered a timeless classic and is definitely worth watching. It features a warm, clever story about a gentle man whose best friend is an invisible six-foot-tall rabbit.
It is not easy to find free versions of movies, even the older ones, I loaded the link and watched some of the film. My PC did not suffer at all from my doing that.

Other great films I could list would include Arsenic and Old Lace, Hobson's Choice, To Have and Have Not (Was you ever bit by a dead bee?), Casablanca, The African Queen, The Maltese Falcon, Gunga Din, You Can't Take It with You and many more I could list.

The above were made back when movies actually had plots and the actors actually acted. Most movies today rely on special effects, lack a great story and there is very little real acting going on. :(
 
So what was the name of the movie that the moderator removed the link (and perhaps the name) ?
 
So what was the name of the movie that the moderator removed the link (and perhaps the name) ?
It's mentioned in the thread, posted 15 minutes before your query.

The name wasn't in the original posting, and while I trust the OP, it could have been anything if someone had gotten into his account without his knowledge. With all the discussion here about cyber security and AI, linking to an outside site hosting movies is extremely risky for malware. It can be your favourite movie, but if people want to follow up with the link, they can privately message at their own risks. I don't usually delete things without a consultation with the mod team, as we work as a group. But that one was in technicolour.
 
Gotcha! @anewbie . You don't read what people write in threads before you respond! I knew it...
 
Gotcha! @anewbie . You don't read what people write in threads before you respond! I knew it...
I could say the same thing about many of your answers in a lot of threads that simply repeat what a person before you said. Is that beneficial - probably not.

In truth i do read most of the thread but sometime a line here and there is missed in the blob of text. Not clear that writing a blob of text to say it was already mentioned is helpful but I guess you feel that way.
 
I could say the same thing about many of your answers in a lot of threads that simply repeat what a person before you said. Is that beneficial - probably not.

In truth i do read most of the thread but sometime a line here and there is missed in the blob of text. Not clear that writing a blob of text to say it was already mentioned is helpful but I guess you feel that way.
You better start playing nice, Buster 🧐 otherwise you'll have no friends to play with!
 
Yes, it is a B&W film, ...
No need to apologize for a film being B & W. Most film buffs consider black and white to be the purest, richest and most compelling form of cinema. I, for one, am addicted to TCM's 'Noir Alley'-- devoted to classic b & W films in the noir genre. (Saturday late night and reprised Sunday morning) "Harvey" isn't noir but it is inarguably a great classic film.
 
Those of us who grew up in the 50s and early 60s were the first generation of TV watchers. Back then TV was live, there was no video. When a movie was on TV it was showns on film in the studio and the a TV camera broadcast it as it played on the movie screen.

Most shows were performed live. However, there was a lack of TV shows so a lot of the time was filled with the movies from an earlier time. In NYC were had movie shows. The Late Show, The Late Late Show and the Late Late Late Show which all showed a full length movie every day.. The there was the Million Dollar Movie. That showed the same file ever night for the entire week plus and afternoon matinee on Saturday. I watch the original King Kong and Godzilla every night all week.

I love movies. I even have seen a fair number of silent films- Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, the Keystone Cops. I have seen all the Marx Brothers and Abbot and Costello films. As a very young boy my town had a special thing they did on Saturdays in the auditorium of the local public school. It was run by local teachers who supervised it. parents could drop their kids off at the school and then go out and do their shopping and other errands and return hours later and pick k up their kids. I spend many a morning watching episodes of the original Flash Gordon series which used to be shown in movie theaters before they ran the feature films.

I had seen many 100s of movies before most here likely were even born. When my father got tired of commutingn to the city every day for work, we moved back to Manhattan. For several years my family subleased a two floor penthouse apartment owned by the actress Patricia Barrry who had to spend years away for the city. When it was time for my dad to renew the lease she came by the apartment with the papers. With her was William Frawley. I was home at the time and was absolutely ecstatic that Fred Mertz was actually in my home. Yes, as a boy I used to watch I Love Lucy when it was first broadcast.
 
@TwoTankAmin that's a good story. It shows something though - the turnover. Even though I'm just a few years younger than you, I don't know the TV culture you grew up in. The movies, yes, as they come around. They can be great, and enduring as much as many books are. But the celebrities of the past from a medium like TV are like the celebrities of Tik Tok now- soon to be forgotten.
As shows were canceled, they vanished, only to return now in specialty channels aimed at older people like us. I wonder if in 50 years there'll be nostalgia 2026 tik tok celebrity replay tech?
I used to find it fascinating teaching grade 9, year after year and seeing how superstars in the kid culture of 2005 were unknown names to the kids of 2008. I worked with a few people who had been famous for a few years - a glam rock singer, a couple of vaguely recognizable TV actors, and some once big Bollywood faces. They always seemed a bit stunned at how quickly it had shot by.

I love old movies, and have no problem with black and white. The Maltese Falcon always makes me want to wear suits and smoke. The novel's better, but the movie is excellent. There are so many good ones. I always get killed at trivia competitions though, because from the age of 19 until I was well into my 30s, I didn't have a TV. They never ask fish or punk rock questions - dunno why.
 
For several years my family subleased a two floor penthouse apartment owned by the actress Patricia Barrry who had to spend years away for the city.
Good story. Patricia Barry was a guest star on a 1963 episode of Perry Mason that aired two nights ago on MeTV.
 
I agree that B&W is fine. My dad always preferred BW photos and movies. I enjoy them, but at the other end of the spectrum is a movie done with absolute splendid, spectacular, eye-catching color……the first ‘Avatar’. :yahoo: Besides seeing the greedy/all conquering money hungry humans lose out, the color sequences throughout were breathtaking. :nod:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top