one of my corydoras has a hole in his side, another has a fungus?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Understandable! It can be hard to tell sometimes :) But bacterial infections can spread too, and fungal infections tend to happen on a wound or injury, and look distinctively fluffy. If you google image search for fish fungal infections, you'll see the difference.

I hope they show signs of improvement soon!
Id treat the tank, since the one is so severe.

But save some of your filter media separately so you can re-seed it. You may get a mini cycle but its better than fully losing it.

Alternatively you can move the affected fish to a hospital tank and treat that instead

so i took a closer look at the peppered corydora (the one with what i thought was fungus). you guys are right, it's not fungus unless fungus puts a hole in them. she has a longer, more line shaped "hole" near her eye, whereas the other corydora had just the hole. i hope her eye will be okay. i guess it's possible that both scraped themselves and one gave the infection to the other. luckily both are still eating and doing okay for now. i'll continue to update you guys, i bought everything like i said before and i hope they can hang on until everything gets here. i added in some aquarium salt as well. thanks for all your help!

so little update: everyone is still alive, my meds got here today, i did end up dosing the paraguard (at half dose since it contains malachite green which corydoras are sensitive to) since one of the corys seemed to be getting a little better thanks to the baths. now the hole in the bronze corydora is not as deep, it looks like the flesh there is white-ish, not sure what that means (hopefully growth?) but i'll attach pics tomorrow. the peppered corydora's (who i thought had fungus but doesn't) infection got maybe a little worse but nothing that is spreading crazy rapidly. it looks about the same.

i did a water change and put the activated carbon in, and i'm waiting around 48 hours for the meds to break down before the antibiotics go in, so the furan-2 and IAL will go in tomorrow morning. i was going to do it today but since they are in relatively stable condition i didn't want to risk mixing meds. i'll post pictures of them after a couple days of treatment, fingers crossed!

I've not.found special care.needs...but....is what it is.

Use water changes.

An old guy years ago told me: Be a water keeper, not a fish keeper.

If the water is good, the fish will heal. I agree with the above statement that water is the best medicine. Is very true.

I will gracefully bow out now.
you and I think alike, keep it simple, fish live in water, do what you can to have the best water!!

alright, second update, and i'll attach pics soon if needed.

the one with hole in his side, the bronze corydora is nearly better. only a tiny white spot remains and it gets smaller everyday. yesterday i finished the last day of the course of the treatment but have enough for a second course and then a half course. however the one who i thought had fugus is not doing as well, the wider hole had widened even more (though it does not look as deep) and it's started to impact her eye. there is a little bit of whiteness showing up on her eye socket tissue (not the eye ball) and it's a bit inflamed. she is still active and eating, her weight looks good as well. her fins are not really clamped.

here is where i'm not sure what to do: obviously she needs another round of treatment. but i know it's not good to keep just throwing meds into the water when most of the other fish are fine. the 2 male endlers had a huge appetite decrease and one wouldn't really eat at all. today they are a bit more active and eating and took nibbles at their food. i can't imagine its good for them to go thru all this medication. i am able to set up a 5 gallon spare tank with an air stone and heater but no filter. so i have 3 options:
1. put the 2 endlers in the 5 gallon, dose it with prime so no spikes occur, and medicate the main tank
2. put the 3 corydoras (so they don't get stressed) in the 5 gallon, dose it with prime and medication
3. keep on medicating the main tank with everyone in it

not sure what i should do, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Id separate the cories into the hospital tank, transfer a bit of filter media though to keep some cycle too in combination with the Prime

Id separate the cories into the hospital tank, transfer a bit of filter media though to keep some cycle too in combination with the Prime

got it, that's what i was thinking too. the furan-2 will kill the bb tho so i'm not even gonna bother with taking some out, i'm p sure it killed most of mine in the tank (but i took some bio media out & it's currently being oxygenated in a separate tank so that I can fix my cycle)

so third update, the bronze corydora is healed up but the peppered one is not doing so good. it's super dark rn since it's night time here, but i'll attach a pic of her in the morning. the gash has widened and it's spread. i saw her glass surfing, but she was spinning in circles going upside down and then right side up and then went sideways on the bottom of the tank. i thought she was dying but she straightened out again. i'm not sure what to do at this point, i imagine she is suffering and euthanasia might be the way to go, since the antibiotics have not helped. if you really need pics ill obviously attach them rn but it's gonna be hard to see.

i moved the other fish out of the tank so that she doesn't spread anything to them and so that if she dies overnight the ammonia won't harm the other fish. the other corydoras were really stressed out and lost a lot of color so i thought it was best. any advice is appreciated

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back