One of my chinese algae eaters has died

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishBazzar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If you look at my signiture I had 2 of them in a 44 gallon. They ate all the algae in the first week, which was alot because my tank get lots of sun light. Then they started eating a certain plant, really ripping it up. Now the one that was the submissive one has died. I think there was little food to begin with and the other chinese wouldn't let him eat in peace. I am probably going to go get some algae tablets or something.

I have three CAEs that I have never done anything special with and they are growing like monsters. There is no noticeable algae in the tank but they happily munch on bloodworm and ferret around in the substrate for any leftover scraps. In fact now I want to get rid of them! Apparently they grow HUGE and become very aggressive towards other fish - they stop eating gravel and start attaching themselves to the scales of their tankmates :sly: . So if either of you are ever in Sth London you are welcome to take mine!

It is highly unlikely a fish would starve to death in a week. Actually, its pretty unlikely a human would, but with a fish its even less plausible since they are cold blooded and require a 10th of the calories a mammal would to stay alive.

CAEs are extremely territorial. It is likely that one harrassed the other to death.

Also, are you sure your tank is properly cycled? What are your ammonia and nitrite levels like?

Most reactions

Back