One Of My African Dwarf Frogs Died.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just checked on my betta and my frogs and noticed Ale, one of my frogs lying on his back, I tapped on the glass and he didn't move, so I got my fish net and nudged him with it and picked him up with it and I realized he had died. Yesterday I noticed he was looking rather bloated but I just thought he had maybe eaten too much and was chubby...and now he's dead...so now I'm sitting in my room crying cause I loved the silly little guy. 

Anyways...I have a few questions:
1) Why did he get so bloated?
2) Is the fact he got bloated probably what killed him?
3) Should I be worried about my other frog (Ginger) or my betta? 
4) Should I get Ginger another companion? 

thanks

Sorry for your loss!
Tell us a bit more about your tank set-up - dimensions, water stats (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp), was it cycled before adding livestock, is it filtered and heated? Did he have access to air i.e. could he rest on something near the surface that allowed him to breathe air?
I wouldn't put any more stock in there til you've got to the bottom of why he died.

Mamashack said:
Sorry for your loss!
Tell us a bit more about your tank set-up - dimensions, water stats (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp), was it cycled before adding livestock, is it filtered and heated? Did he have access to air i.e. could he rest on something near the surface that allowed him to breathe air?
I wouldn't put any more stock in there til you've got to the bottom of why he died.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Here is my tank info:
- 10 Gallon tank
- Fishless Cycled
- Heated to 78 F or 25 C
- Sponge Filter
-  0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5-20ppm nitrate
- It also has some live plants, terracotta pot hides and a floating "betta" log 
- I fed the frogs 3 thawed blood worms every 2-3 days and I put 5 frog pellets in each every day in between after soaking them in tank water for a minute. 

Ale a few days ago
ale.jpg

How I found him. 

ale 2.jpg

Was he able to breathe air at the surface? I believe that is critical to their survival tho I've never kept them myself.

Mamashack said:
Was he able to breathe air at the surface? I believe that is critical to their survival tho I've never kept them myself.

Yes, there was space at the top for them to breathe. They would swim up to the surface for a quick gulp of air, and sometimes they would just chill out on top of the betta log with their face out of the water. 

Also, I've had them for about a month

Have you changed anything in your routine or added anything new to the tank recently?

Mamashack said:
Have you changed anything in your routine or added anything new to the tank recently?

The only thing new was 2 weeks ago I had my mystery snail in the tank for maybe half an hour. Other than that I've been doing everything the same.

Sorry can't think of anything beyond what I've already asked about.
Hope you get to the bottom of it soon!

Mamashack said:
Sorry can't think of anything beyond what I've already asked about.
Hope you get to the bottom of it soon!

That's alright, thanks for trying!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back