OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe she was being cautious. She bought the dog a haltie and kept him away from adults which she knew the dog didn't like. I honestly don't think she could have been anymore cautious.

Believe me what you are saying is NOT that hard to understand because you've been saying the same thing over and over for the last 10 posts.

Pointy_kitty said:
Shy, jumpy and skittish are all words for 'aggressive'... If you knew your dog was NOT COMFORTABLE OR SOCIALIZED around strangers you should've been more cautious... Simple as that
Aggressive: Inclined to behave in an actively hostile fashion: an aggressive regime. Also assertive, bold and over reacting

I have lived with dogs all of my life. My family has fostered numerous dogs, some aggressive, skittish, shy, hyper, ect... Shy, Jumpy and Skittish are not words that mean aggression! It may mean scared, or unpredictable, but not aggressiveness in any animal for that matter. You can be scared without being mean. It's good for Pointy to save a live, and to work with a dog that isn't perfect. (Kudos to you!! :thumbs: )
What we have here is an ACCIDENT. Its not Pointy's fault, the kid's fault, their parents fault (though some may say why weren't they watching their children :rolleyes: ) or even the dog's fault. The kid reached behind the dog, who misinterpreted and snapped. IMO its obviously not a vicious dog that Pointy should've never owned because if the dog would've bit intentionally to hurt the kid she would not have left just a little bruise. The dog was scared, not aggressive. Auratus already pointed out that she was pretty cautious. Irresponsible owners don't buy haltis, ect, to keep the dog under control in the first place... Simple As That

Pure14K said:
:rofl: Another 'child' I won't argue with
i sincerly hope that you are not calling me a child as you have no idea how old i am and i asure you i am no child.

please do not reply anymore in my posts as i do not value your rude, childish imput
thank you

Another 'child' I won't argue with

get over yourself. you think because of your age you are more mature and know more then us. Your just an 'adult' who has their head shoved too far up the a$$ who thinks the world revolves around them.

billy61788 said:

get over yourself. you think because of your age you are more mature and know more then us. Your just an 'adult' who has their head shoved too far up the a$$ who thinks the world revolves around them.
:rofl: I like that one.

Wouldn't be too worried, my dog once attacked german tourists whilst being walking.. :p ...

Just ignore people that are trrying to make you feel bad.

I know what you mean, all of my eight dogs are rescued, and soem do have problems.. all it takes is patience and love to make things right, i am sure the child understood and sure would his parents if you could explain itto them. But that probably wont be necessairy.

Peachybrown said:
billy61788 said:

:rofl: I like that one.

Wouldn't be too worried, my dog once attacked german tourists whilst being walking.. :p ...

Just ignore people that are trrying to make you feel bad.

I know what you mean, all of my eight dogs are rescued, and soem do have problems.. all it takes is patience and love to make things right, i am sure the child understood and sure would his parents if you could explain itto them. But that probably wont be necessairy.
:lol:
Here's a good one my Grandfather used to say:
Consider yourself ignored...

Hi pointy, I'm a dog behaviorist, specializing in aggression education and breed ban laws, and if you wouldn't mind I'd like to add my two cents. ;)

1) Children are the most common victim when it comes to dog bites. They have "jerkier" movements than adults and they are different in their approachestowards dogs. Both these things can be interpreted by a dog as a threat or a challenge. When the boy dropped his candy and bent over to pick it up from behind your dog, he inadvertantly "attacked" (at least according to your dog). The hindquarters of a dog are very vulnerable and a skittish dog is going to be especially cautious of an attack from behind. This, coupled with strangers, and the body language of children combined to equal a bad situation.

2) Haltis can be a wonderful tool for dogs with or without aggression. You provide your self with a quick reflex in which you can turn your dog's head into your body and away from where ever it's headed. They are not meant for every dog (like all training tools), but from what you have described, that seems like a good choice.

3) When a dog feels anxious in a situation, it is best not to coddle it. It's good to reassure your dog that the situation is safe, but especially with a fear biter (that's what you have now -_- ), if you over do the reassurance, you provoke more anxiety, thus causing/increasing biting. I'm not saying this is what you did (most of this is done through tone of voice and I obviously can't hear you through the computer) I'm just tring to break down the situation and look for possiblities.

4) I don't know where you live, but all places will have their own laws as far as biting. Many of these have correlations with breed. For example, if a golden retriever mauled someone, they may get a second chance, but if one of my dobies or rotts snaps at the same person, in some areas they can be destroyed on site. If you want to give me your location, I can give you more info on what you'd be looking at (If you're in the US) Is your dog current on vaccinations? Even though the skin didn't break, that could be a major factor should any more come of this.

5) If I were you...I would call your local animal control and discuss the situation along with offering a list of references who can testify to this being out of character for your dog. Unless your dog is a pit bull, or one of the other "killer breeds" (no offense to anyone, all four of my dogs are so-called killers), you probably have little to worry about as far as keeping your dog goes. The MOST I would see happening would be maybe a ticket. This would be your best bet for finding the parents because I would assume they reported a dog bite.

6) If you don't find the parents, you will end up being paranoid to take your dog out and that's not fair to either of you. Even if you are unsuccessful at contacting them, if they do see you there will be a paper trail through your animal control that you attempted to make contact.
Lastly, if the parents are concerned enough to take their son to the doctor and they are unable to locate you along with your dog's vet records, he may have to undergo rabies shots. These are horribly painful, large shots that are administered in the stomach. Even if your dog didn't break skin, this very well could be in that boys future.

Sorry that this is so long, and I hope that you were able to find something useful within. I don't think that you are in any way an irresponsible owner, your dog is lucky to have someone who cares so much for her. I would strongly suggest though that you make an attempt to contact the parents. It would end up being much worse if they are upset and end up finding you.

Hiya, i have to agree with Sorrell.

I'm with you pointy, i don't feel you or your dog has done any harm, i do agree though that you should face the music, nerve racking, but at least you will have piece of mind.

Wow, this is a busy topic. I also have a formerly abused adoptarino whom I walk regularly. She's a great dog but I don't trust her. When a child asks if they can pet her I merely say "naaah, we better not" :/ Try that next time,PK. Don't let anybody put their hands on your dog unless they're guests in your home.

As for your current situation :crazy: I dunno what to say. I can understand that you panicked but from a parents point of view....I'd track you down in the neighborhood and demand an explanation. We also live in the good ole USA where people love to sue over the tiniest things. Best of luck to you, I certainly hope those parents are understanding.

unfortunately i live in canada so i don't know if you can help me sorrell
and although i live in a hick town, tension between dog owners and everyone else has been VERY high
right now they are just waiting for something to happen so that they may "make an example" of a biting dog
that and my nerves being shot as this was very stressful and unexpected situation for me is probably why i didn't think of the parents until i had gotten home
if i had been calm thats the second thing i would have done
the first being exactly what i did by my instincts, secure the dog and hurry to the boys aid ensuring that he was not harmed
i do not know if my dog is considered a "killer breed"
she is half lab and half samoyed
although the lab is not, if they looked up the breed samoyed they would find that it is a wild dog
you see, most breeds originate from foxes, wolves, and other wild dogs but samoyeds are the originals
they are like wolves, only they look more like husky's
i can only assume what they would have to say about that :/
they are known for their speed, power and most importantly their loyalty and dedication to their owners (naturally protective)
these would probably all be seen as "kill-dog" traits
they were not bred to fight but they were used for protection against large animals aswell as herding reindeer (which are nasty, dangerous animals)
so you can see how bad this looks on her part
it looks as if she is wild, and dangerous

So just curious are you decided on whether your going to try to track down the parents? Did this occur in the childrens yard? And you say 1 child was around 6 yrs old how about the other? It appears to have been an unfortunate accident and I'm sorry for all the stress it has caused you. As a parent however, I feel you must try to contact these parents and explain the situation. If the incident occurred somewhere other than the kids yard, what were they doing out alone at that age? (maybe I'm to protective of my child) Hope things work out for the best.

I think you should find the parents and explain to them what you have told us all on here. About the spca and the fact that you were in shock which is why you left the scene at the time and that you are sincerely sorry for not tracking them down sooner.
As for not letting any strangers near your dog at the moment I don't think this is a good idea, your dog needs to get to know other people. The best thing to do is to let people stroke it but tell them they must approach very slowly offering the dog the back of their hand and not rush putting the palm of the hand out in which to go straight for the head. The dog sees this as a threat as in the past it has been mistreated and people use the palm of their hand to smack, this is why the dog barks at people when they go straight in to pet her because she thinks she is going to get slapped. DO NOT PULL THE LEAD TIGHT if a stranger walks over to you and her. This puts the dog on guard and instantly tense. Do what you said make her sit and stay then whilst a stranger is petting her re-assure her call her a good girl in a nice calm voice and reward no barking with treats. If she barks do not give her a treat. She will soon learn this way that not everyone wants to hurt her.
I hope everything turns out ok for you and your dog.
Please return and try and find the little boys parents though and explain the situation.
All the best
Kaz

On reading more of the post on this topic I have to say

I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE SUITED TO A DOG BE IT RESCUE OR OTHERWISE. WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO FOR THIS DOG IS BRILLIANT.
Our dog is a rescue dog. Don't know his background but has a lovely nature.
SHY, SCITTISH etc are MOST DEFFINATELY NOT WORDS TO DESCRIBE AGGRESSIVE.
I understand why you didn't think about the parents but now that you have it is your duty to track them down or at least try.
Again good luck and keep us posted on events.
Kaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back