Odd Tiger Barb Behaviour

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kpris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So my tiger barb has been acting a little odd lately. Showing a couple of symptoms of illness but no outward physical signs.
After feeding (in which he is fairly interested in after a little encouragement but can't get alot of food down because of competition) he lies around the surface of the water. As in he'll try to swim down but can't keep himself there, the usual swimming bladder disorder. I thought this was simply a symptom of constipation, because last time i had fed blood worms so i did the whole isolation, and mashed peas drill, and he was back to normal.
Just then i fed again, just a typical flake food in which he didn't get much down and again he's laying on the surface. Doesn't look bloated this time though and i noticed that this morning he was sticking around a smaller, better covered area of the tank.

He's easily the most aggressive fish in there, the top of the peaking order normally, so there hasn't been anything bullying on the part of the other fish.
Water parameters are great as usual, I do a 20% water change weekly which i have kept up diligently.

Any idea what's going on?

[edit] actually he does look a little bloated but nothing out of the ordinary, I think it's really just in comparison to the rest of him. Been looking a bit skinny lately. =/

And i feed them a regular wide variety of food, frozen blood worms, vitamin enriched flakes, peas (de-shelled), the occasional shrimp mixed with a little garlic. Neons have turned into ravenous beasts =o

I would issolate him and try a bacterial med if its not to late.
Epson salt baths are good it draws the fluids out.
Has he lost weight due to not eating.

Most reactions

Back