Ocean Rock - Cichlid Rock - Is It Ocean Rock? - Suggestions For Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi I haven't bought it yet but will be buying 35kg of Ocean rock and picking up tomorrow. It's the type of rock which you see in cichlid tanks. I do have cichlids at the moment but was thinking about changing to community setup but still deciding what to have so suggestions will be nice (I have a 4ft).

I wanted to know:
How the rock will affect my tanks water quality in terms of:
Hard or soft water - Will it change this and what to? How will you know if the water is hard or soft?
PH - Will this rise the ph or lower it?
If I change from cichlids to community, would they be fine with the rocks (water quality) or will it affect them in anyway?
Will 35kg of rock be safe in the 4ft as the tank is on a cabinet supported by the floor and wall, cabinet is built in and does not move.
How much is it generally on average for 1kg of ocean rock?

If you could answer as much as you can then please could you do so.
If there are any other tips and pointers you can give out I will truly appreciate it and please give suggestions for community fish or even at semi-aggressive level.

Thanks

the rock will slowly turn it hard and alkaline
buy a hardness tester softening the water can just be by changing the water regulary with rain water or other soft water. i have heard about boiling it but i dont know much about it.
it wont affect the new fish but the alkalinity and hardness will so regular water changes are assentual..
should be right if your glass isnt that thin.
not sure about prices.

good community fish are
dwarf gouramis
corydoras are the best
bristle nose catfish
ottocinclus
cherry barb
clown loach
platy
rainbowfish species
most tetras

Thanks so much for the reply Gourami123 it really has helped, when you say rain water do you mean leaving a bucket of water outside and wait for it to rain or could it be possible that my tap water is soft so it would be fine with just normal water changes?

I don't think I will be able to have clown loach as its only a 170l tank (4ft). However I am interested in the otocinclus, do you know where to get them as never seen them anywhere in lfs.

i paid £25 for 25kg of ocean rock last weekend, haven't seen it much cheaper, the shipping costs more than the rock in most cases!

i paid £25 for 25kg of ocean rock last weekend, haven't seen it much cheaper, the shipping costs more than the rock in most cases!

Is it, thats what I thought they go for aswell something like £1 for every kg. I won mine on ebay for £9.99 35kg. There were no bids at all. I have seen an ad on aquarist ad 20kg for £5. I think you will find the odd really cheap prices.

What fish have you kept with these rocks, cichlids (what type)?
Thanks

I wanted to check if these are ocean rocks, if they are not then what are they and will they be fine with my fish.

Any more help I would really appreciate it..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back