O Hell!

Robot_Rooster

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
300
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cardiff, Wales
i was doing my weekly water change and one of my danios swims right into the gravel vac and into eh very mucky bucket i managed to get him out of the bucket and into the breeding net but it looks like i broked somethingof his when he got sucked through :( he is still breathing but not swimming very well what should i do :(
 
Just keep an eye on him and wait a bit, to see if he recovers. It may just be some fin damage that can grow back. What exactly has broken off...
 
If you are just doing a water change and not vacuuming the gravel you can take a piece of pantyhose and cover the end securing with a rubber band. Another option is to get a siphon with a larger diameter hose so that the fish are less likely to be crushed if they do get sucked up.
 
well i always do them the same time, so dont i need to do a gravel vac every week? if no then how long? and thanks for that tip nosoup. and i dont have the guts to eithanize its too horrible, it swims lopsided then lay on the bottom then continues so hopefully he'll get better
 
so dont i need to do a gravel vac every week?
I would still do a gravel vac weekly, especially if you have bottom dwellers in there beacause if you don't gravel vac they can become infected and lose their sensetive barbels. And a build up of waste in the gravel can cause high nitrates too.
 
I do mine at the same time weekly too but I know that some others do gravel vacuuming less often which is why I offered the suggestion. It is possible that the fish has just experienced some temporary damage to his/her swim bladder and will recover with time. Just keep an eye on things and hopefully the fish will recover.


If the fish is having a lot of trouble swimming it might be wise to put him/her in a breeding net to make it easier for the fish to surface for food.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your fish but don't feel too badly, it happens to even the most conscientious fishkeeper. I smashed a Cory while doing a gravel vac awhile back and several months ago I moved a pregnant guppy into an open tank for birthing and found her dried up on the floor when I got up in the morning.
 
Oh, that's too bad! Everyone makes mistakes...the trick is to learn from them!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top