Nylon Netting As Bio Media ?

wiz83

Reaction score
I live in Malaysia, I don't know why, I'm having hard time finding nylon pot scrubbies, most of them are made of steel, and they're expensive.

However at my local textile shops, I found out that those nylon nettings that are used to make pot scrubbies go for rather cheap.

My question is, will I be able to use these nylon nettings as bio media? I need a cheap but effective bio-media, that is similar to pot-scrubbies.

The netting that I'm referring to is similar to: http://noelwright.blogspot.com/2011/08/pattern-for-crochet-pot-scrubber.html

I've done some research and scrubbies have average 350-400 square M per cubic foot, and it's pretty good. I wonder how it'd turn out if I use just the nylon nettings? Plan to build it for my next 100 gallon tank, and it'd be installed as bio media for wet-dry over-flow filter.

I don't see any reason why the bacteria wouldn't form on that (or just about any) surface. I might be slightly concerned, however, that any dye used in the netting might leech out into the water over time. Whether this would actually happen, and whether this would be at all harmful to fish, I couldn't say.

Any reason you can't just use bog standard filter wool?

I think standard aquarium sponge would be better, perhaps with a layer of floss if you need it?

yes i think you are better of going with a sponge, my only concern other than the nylon leaking dyes is will the nylon break down in the water over time?

But, I'm thinking of getting the same materials used in nylon pot scrubbies.

Anyways, I'm doing fishless cycle, exactly 14 days with Ace Hardware Janitorial Ammonia, and at 29C, dechlorinated water, with bio sponge (black color), and no drop in ammonia, no increase in nitrate and nitrate. Very disappointed. :(

Some cycles take longer than others. Don't worry, you'll get there.

Swish your ammonia around. Make sure it doesn't produce lots of bubbles and it's not scented. If it does then it might explain why your cycle isn't going anywhere.

Most reactions

Back