What's new

Now fostering a red heeler

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Say hello to Gali - she needs some vet care and then she needs a home. For right now she needed to not go to our very full pound, and her family had to move to an apartment and could find no one else.

Attachments

• 20220925_171107.jpg
    20220925_171107.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 49
Awww congrats! Hopefully it all works out 😉

Aaaww, she's a pretty one! Not a breed we see over here, so I'm unfamiliar. Thanks for fostering! Hope she gets along with your gang, and that the vet visits go well, poor thing! But she's lucky to have landed with you. :)

Ha, not psychos, just workers!
They need a job to do, and if they don't have that they will drive you crazy dropping that ball at your feet. Again, and again, and again.....
So many people get a dog like this and expect it to be happy in a backyard, with a daily walk, when they have been bred to work. More work the better.
I've seen heelers work 8 hours, with a quick break, a cupful of kibble at the end of the day, and ready to go at daybreak the next day. They are amazing, and it's heart-breaking they are sold as family pets.

we are getting shots and tests today so we will know if she has heartworms or any tick borne diseases. She is very chill, maybe too chill, which is why I am doing more tests than usually. She's 5 years old, been kept outdoors, had ticks when I picked her up and no heartworm prevention.

Beware heelers are psychos :rofl: lovable but insane
Did you see Teddy's post? you know the one I had about a DNA test and a guess the breed on? He's 25% Australian Cattle Dog - which contains red and blue heeler, and he is a nut job. But I've had him since January 2015, and I've almost found him a home once, but I figured anyone else would probably hurt him when he pulled his nonsense so he is still here and there is a spray bottle with water on my desk.

I wanted to be a veterinarian, and at about age 15 I developed allergies to dogs, cats, rodents, not sure about the bunny. I couldn't work with animals, not in a vet's office, a shelter, my allergist told me I would die in pre-vet. At 49, I dumped a guy and took in a stray, and had to find a home for my trained female because I couldn't find a home for the stray and, with no kids at home, and no one to tell me I couldn't well.... I brought my male dog in because he and his sister were a team and he was lonesome and the stray had to be in, and then I had to bring in the dachshund that came with the house (and wasn't house - trained but a crate is a wonderful training tool), and a situation evolved. I adopted a big on death row rottweiler bernese mountain dog mix in January 2009, I'd always wanted a rottie but not around little kids. Picture - Bella, black lab mix, Bronx Rottie/BMD, Gracie the Border Collie and Spike my Border Collie/GSD mix. Spike is the only non-rescue, he died of cancer in January 2013. Bronx came down with cancer in 2014, metastasized mast cell, died in August 2017. I learned to fight cancer

And when Bronx (the rottie) and Spike said they were bored we adopted a border collie. It's been an evolving situation. Most of my dogs are black, they are killed at a higher rate than others. All of my dogs are rescues, that live here, and I'm full but I can foster for a month if it's my slow season and I have the yard, the room and the equipment. It lets me do what I love without doing too much. I do not foster fluffy dogs, they might still hospitalize me... but I can do a little, one or 2 or 3 a year, and I not only save them, but the one that takes their place at the shelter has a place. I work with rescues, network really well and usually manage to place them within a month or 2.

Herd Dog Rescue transport leaves October 22nd, they don't flip dogs, want a thorough temperament assessment, and if they pick up her vet bills, Gali goes on the transport. I already paid to vet her, I have receipts.

Attachments

• 4dogsjune302011.JPG
    4dogsjune302011.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 39

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back