Not sure what’s happing with my red claw crab and I’m freaking out.!!!

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

All 5 of them were thriving. Absolutely no problems since day one with anything I did up until I removed all the land, I’m guessing I released bad bacteria and she was recently in a fight and she walked through and picked up something. I’ve had a huge section for land but they didn’t favour it as much so they have a big bridge and a bunch of access points.

Attachments

• 2F7B457F-A2C3-43C0-B46F-3D0E077E9758.jpeg
    2F7B457F-A2C3-43C0-B46F-3D0E077E9758.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 58BB571B-207F-491F-A82D-8C27CF3285CB.jpeg
    58BB571B-207F-491F-A82D-8C27CF3285CB.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 272D961D-6876-49DE-A152-84A55EDB3C8A.jpeg
    272D961D-6876-49DE-A152-84A55EDB3C8A.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 879C91B8-65C3-4636-85EE-BBD4271920BF.jpeg
    879C91B8-65C3-4636-85EE-BBD4271920BF.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 01BD2CE8-FAA6-46E2-A199-84C9EC1213E2.jpeg
    01BD2CE8-FAA6-46E2-A199-84C9EC1213E2.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 134C320A-E3AF-44B4-9E23-8472039A1EA4.jpeg
    134C320A-E3AF-44B4-9E23-8472039A1EA4.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 22
Sounds like a good assumption.

Yeah, I guess that’s what im leaning towards. There’s no fixing her eh, it’s just gonna take it course I assume.
Never hurts to do a water change 😉

Daily water changes keeps the water very clean and helps with diseases and wounds

The shell is most likely either colour, or a fungal or bacterial infection. If the shell is hard then it is probably colour. If it's soft in those areas, then it could be fungal or bacterial.

It could be from lack of ultra-violet light, poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH), nutrient deficiency or a physical injury that got infected.

You could try doing big regular water changes and increasing the salinity (salt level). You would need to do this for about a month or until she moults. Then remove the old shell as soon as possible after she has moulted. However, there is a possibility a fungal or bacterial infection could be in the new shell too.

-------------------
Removing the bridge and disturbing the substrate did not cause this. If it was going to be a problem, it would affect all the crabs in the tank and they would either die straight away or be fine.

The shell is most likely either colour, or a fungal or bacterial infection. If the shell is hard then it is probably colour. If it's soft in those areas, then it could be fungal or bacterial.

It could be from lack of ultra-violet light, poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH), nutrient deficiency or a physical injury that got infected.

You could try doing big regular water changes and increasing the salinity (salt level). You would need to do this for about a month or until she moults. Then remove the old shell as soon as possible after she has moulted. However, there is a possibility a fungal or bacterial infection could be in the new shell too.

-------------------
Removing the bridge and disturbing the substrate did not cause this. If it was going to be a problem, it would affect all the crabs in the tank and they would either die straight away or be fine.
Ultra violet light is on every night, they only need 8-10 hours of day light, once they hit 8 hours I tend to shut it to night. My water is good and I’ve just done a liquid ammonia test and its at zero. It’s a little hard but they won’t mind.

I’m gonna do a big change now and up the salt a little. I tried to poke her, but she’s just getting to the point where she just lifts a claw at me and lets me know to close. But I poked her it all seems hard.

For what the lady at the pet store told me as long as she’s eating she has a chance and she didn’t seem worried, I am still a little worried so, I’ll keep a close eye on her.

Thanks everyone I truly do appreciate all the help.!!!!
I’ll update soon if anything changes with her.

Never hurts to do a water change 😉

Daily water changes keeps the water very clean and helps with diseases and wounds
See I’ve been told to start on a daily water change while she’s in this state, other then that I’m told once a week. My water isn’t cloudy, from the front ya, but that’s the algae on the tank. My water is clear, only thing it is is hard. I’ve tested and just bought new liquid tests. So. Now it’s everyday clean, added extra salt, gonna find some good food to add in with her. Give her more options, she isn’t liking the lettuce..

See I’ve been told to start on a daily water change while she’s in this state, other then that I’m told once a week. My water isn’t cloudy, from the front ya, but that’s the algae on the tank. My water is clear, only thing it is is hard. I’ve tested and just bought new liquid tests. So. Now it’s everyday clean, added extra salt, gonna find some good food to add in with her. Give her more options, she isn’t liking the lettuce..
Yah, when something is sick in your tank and you don't know why, daily water changes of more than 50% can be very good until you figure out why they are sick.

Give her more options, she isn’t liking the lettuce..
Maybe try something more meaty... I know they are omnivores... But maybe just like a kid, he don't like no veggies 🤣

Yah, when something is sick in your tank and you don't know why, daily water changes of more than 50% can be very good until you figure out why they are sick.
I just went right down to the rocks and did a good solid clean, got out all the old food from the rocks and every other yucky thing.

I’ve got some frozen blood worms I’ve yet to try, I’m thinking more of a bug or shrimp melody to give them. Like I mean, they thought the other crab was tasty so…. 😭🤷🏻‍♀😂😂😂

I did a huge full clean just now. Everything is good, im gonna test again tonight. I’ll test again tomorrow as well, I’ll do a 50% water change daily at least for a couple days and I’ve added a little more salt. I’m still worrying but, I’ve done what I can for now, keeping a very close eye on the tank as there’s a new one in there and she’s exploring the entire tank and climbing along and picking at all the algae.

I just went right down to the rocks and did a good solid clean, got out all the old food from the rocks and every other yucky thing.

I’ve got some frozen blood worms I’ve yet to try, I’m thinking more of a bug or shrimp melody to give them. Like I mean, they thought the other crab was tasty so…. 😭🤷🏻‍♀😂😂😂
Sounds like you cleaned it well! Nice job!

Ah yes... Cannibalism 🤣.

You could do shrimp, worms, or other frozen/dried items. I'm sure they will love it a bit more than having a fellow neighbor's leg.

I did a huge full clean just now. Everything is good, im gonna test again tonight. I’ll test again tomorrow as well, I’ll do a 50% water change daily at least for a couple days and I’ve added a little more salt. I’m still worrying but, I’ve done what I can for now, keeping a very close eye on the tank as there’s a new one in there and she’s exploring the entire tank and climbing along and picking at all the algae.
Cross all fingers it'll be ok... I think you are taking great preventative measures!

Sounds like you cleaned it well! Nice job!

Ah yes... Cannibalism 🤣.

You could do shrimp, worms, or other frozen/dried items. I'm sure they will love it a bit more than having a fellow neighbor's leg.
Lord have mercy if I lose my original girl.! 8 months I’ve had her and I’m praying she’s just a little unique now and that she pulls through. Yes that’s what I’m looking for, frozen or died.! I couldn’t find the word I was looking for. 😂

Most reactions

Back