Not sure that anybody cares, but… I’m refurbishing my boat!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
About 8 years ago we bought a cheap aluminum fishing boat. It has had a minor leak that has slowly gotten worse, and the already faded paint job is simply more faded. I’ve been aching for a project like this, so figured now was the time to do a major refurbishing! I’ve spent the last 3 weeks doing some research, and started moving ahead on the project today! By that I mean I played around with my wire brush to see how well it worked lol. This is the boat!
DF446881-85A3-45B6-90B1-8454767F89CC.png

Now I’m not really into fishing. I fish a little bit, I think it’s fun, but I mostly just like to row around the shore of our pond with my dog, Griffin. I’m hoping to do some photography this year, so it will get me places I couldn’t get on foot because of the undergrowth. So anywayyyyyyyy I practiced a little bit with my wire brush drill attachment, but the drill started to slow down as the battery started to die. I am so excited to see how it looks when all of it is nice and shiny. The difference is CRAZY.
F9F8826D-266E-452C-B6AF-983C9D78C38A.jpeg
8B9DE146-7003-46C5-8FF5-719012C69804.jpeg

So the plan going forward is -

Remove rotten wooden seats
Wire brush the entire surface, inside and out
Power wash the boat
Let it dry
Use Flex Seal Liquid Rubber to reseal all the seams

I am still looking into the paint I want to use, so that is to come. I am not when I will get all this done, but hopefully before the end of March
I am looking at either coral or deep turquoise where the blue is now, and I’m painting the interior and edging white.

Super cool project! How big is your pond? I know nothing about refurbishing boats and stuff but I think it would be so cool to know how! Keep us updated!

Super cool project! How big is your pond? I know nothing about refurbishing boats and stuff but I think it would be so cool to know how! Keep us updated!
I definitely will! I plan to document every step of the way. The biggest thing is prepping the boat! I have to wire brush it, sand it, wash it, prime it, then paint it. The pond is just under 3 acres. It is stocked with bass and bluegill. There are some carp and turtles too.

I definitely will! I plan to document every step of the way. The biggest thing is prepping the boat! I have to wire brush it, sand it, wash it, prime it, then paint it. The pond is just under 3 acres. It is stocked with bass and bluegill. There are some carp and turtles too.
Sounds like a really nice fishing pond!... Are there any gators where you live? Be careful if there are... That seems like it would take FOREVER to use a wire brush on it all... Is there another tool you use that gets it done faster?

Sounds like a really nice fishing pond!... Are there any gators where you live? Be careful if there are... That seems like it would take FOREVER to use a wire brush on it all... Is there another tool you use that gets it done faster?
lol There are no gators in VA! Nah a wire brush is my only option unfortunately.

lol There are no gators in VA! Nah a wire brush is my only option unfortunately.
Really!? No gators in VA? Interesting... I always thought VA had gators... Anywho, that's sad that you have to use a tiny brush to do all that... I was hoping you'd say: "Oh yah, I have this tool that will help me get it done in an hour or so"... Lol

Really!? No gators in VA? Interesting... I always thought VA had gators... Anywho, that's sad that you have to use a tiny brush to do all that... I was hoping you'd say: "Oh yah, I have this tool that will help me get it done in an hour or so"... Lol
Are there gators in NC? Nah. The wire brush attaches to the drill so it goes decently fast. It’s very satisfying. It should take about 3 hrs to do the boat, maybe?

Are there gators in NC? Nah. The wire brush attaches to the drill so it goes decently fast. It’s very satisfying. It should take about 3 hrs to do the boat, maybe?
We have TONS of gators in NC... We can't use an inflatable boat... Otherwise... CHOMP

We have TONS of gators in NC... We can't use an inflatable boat... Otherwise... CHOMP
NO WAY, reallly? I thought that gators were in like Florida, Georgia, and maybeaeee SC!? We have some massive snapping turtles, and poison water snakes, but not much else.

NO WAY, reallly? I thought that gators were in like Florida, Georgia, and maybeaeee SC!? We have some massive snapping turtles, and poison water snakes, but not much else.
We have all of the above 😁... Ahhh yes, wanna have a swim with me in one of our rivers? 😂...

No way anyone could convince me to go into the rivers around here... Even if it wasn't for the snakes, gators, and giant turtles... There is other things in the water you can't see :sick:

We have all of the above 😁... Ahhh yes, wanna have a swim with me in one of our rivers? 😂...
Nah man. You come here! We got a gator free private pond!
No way anyone could convince me to go into the rivers around here... Even if it wasn't for the snakes, gators, and giant turtles... There is other things in the water you can't see :sick:
ewwww like what

ewwww like what
We have had multiple seats leaks/spills and have seen floating dead fish in the water... Every few months the news says that there is a sewage spill... It grosses me out a ton...

Nah man. You come here! We got a gator free private pond!
Lol... I'm actually going up to family in Virginia in the next few weeks and they have a pond in their back yard with bass and stuff! I'm hoping we'll all go fishing together... Maybe I can get my first largemouth!

It's a good project, but once you install the aquariums, how are you going to keep them from sloshing around when there are waves?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back