Normal Betta Behavior?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FoxChase

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had my betta for 10 days now. He's a plakit about 4 mo old. From the time I removed him from his shipping box, he greeted me with fins extended and excellent color. I was amazed how healthy he looked after 2 days in a bag. He has been very active compared to other bettas I've seen. He swims around most of time but not frantically, exploring, weaving in and out of plant leaves, picking at the gravel, etc. He seems to enjoy swimming against the filter outflow - it will push him back a bit and he swims harder against it. He'll return 2-3 times and then go off and do something different. I've seen him do this on several days.
Whenever I approach the tank, he's always right to the front, actively swimming back & forth, up & down. He most always keeps his fins extended, not flared.
He has a mirror that attaches to the outside of the tank so he can have some stimulation about 2 hrs per day. He'll flare for the reflection but is not obsessive about the mirror. On the third day here, he started making a small bubble nest and did so for a few days. Today I noticed he built another one shortly after his mirror was available. He builds them on the opposite side of the tank from the mirror.
He figured out the feeding ring in a couple days and now begs for food shamelessly whenever I lift the glass top. He's fed twice daily and eats well except for the Invert Aquatics Extreme Color Betta Bits (pellets). He spits those out. His different foods are rotated - Betta Bug Bites micro pellet and flake, Hikari freeze dried Brine Shrimp, Daphna and Bloodworms (his favorite). Planning to get him some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp soon.
He was a bit thin when he first arrived, I assume from the lack of food during shipping, but has gained a bit of weight since. He's no longer sucked in behind his ribcage. His color, fins and temperament have been consistent since day one.
So, is it normal to have such a happy, busy betta?
I read that too much activity could be a sign of distress, so I've been a little concerned. He acts more like a busy clown fish than a broody betta!
Tank temp is 78°, all water tests fall within normal ranges for bettas.
Do I just have an exuberant youngster or should I be concerned?
20220310_142604.jpg

Attach pic is him confronting his mirrored image.

I'm not too familiar with Bettas, but most places I've read up on, they say you should only have the mirror in 5-10 mins max per day, since if it stays in there for extended times, they apparently believe that they've unsuccessfully warded off competition, thinking the "other" Betta is still in the tank and a threat.

In a decent sized tank with plenty of plants for interest and stimulation, betta are active fish. They cannot do the same when we see them in a little cup. Young fish in a new environment will explore and are more active.

I think the main reason you are seeing a difference is that you have a plakat betta. Their fins are much easier to swim with than a large finned betta so they can swim faster, further and against current as you are seeing. :)

The only thing I would change is the freeze dried food. It has a tendency to cause bloat so I wouldn't use it.

You should never use a mirror for more than a couple of minutes. It is the same as putting another Betta in the tank with your fish, and I know you wouldn't do that. So don't use a mirror.
Thanks for the mirror info. I will shorten his mirror time to less than 10 mins and try to take it away when he is engaged - hopefully he'll think he was successful in chasing off his nemesis.
In a decent sized tank with plenty of plants for interest and stimulation, betta are active fish. They cannot do the same when we see them in a little cup. Young fish in a new environment will explore and are more active.

I think the main reason you are seeing a difference is that you have a plakat betta. Their fins are much easier to swim with than a large finned betta so they can swim faster, further and against current as you are seeing. :)

The only thing I would change is the freeze dried food. It has a tendency to cause bloat so I wouldn't use it.
I plan to get him some frozen food this week hopefully. The freeze dried food is quite pulverized, it doesn't appear to swell in water more than 25%. I take this into account when measuring out his meals. Only the bloodworms are intact and he only gets a couple of those at a time. He seems like he's alway hungry, he'll pick around in the gravel and on top of leaves looking for food and keeps checking his feeding ring.
Is this normal behavior?
Just so I'm prepared - what would be early signs of bloat or constipation?

Bettas have a reputation for being greedy and looking for food seems normal. It is also common for betta to be overweight if their diet is not regulated, which can have a similar appearance to bloat.
Bloat would show as lethargy and an enlarged body, perhaps an uneven swelling. Betta seem particularly prone to it. Side effects can be buoyancy problems as the blockage can compress the swim bladder.

sounds like you've scored a great Betta, and IMO theyre effervescent, curious and all about the shop if theyre happy. So Woo !! I scored a new red crowntail with a blue wash on his body and blue frilly bits on the end his tail. Does endless laps around the tank, gives it to the Molly and the Endlers and looks friggin hot when he strikes a pose spiking out his crown.

I have 2 bettas, one in a 29 gallon, he’s lazy and hardly swims around at all unless it’s for food. The other in a 5 gallon, and he’s all over the place constantly on the move. 29 gallon betta does have the long flowing fins, 5 gallon has shorter streamlined fins, so I assume that makes all the difference in the world.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back