Non-standard Lighting In Hood...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Saedcantas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
:X A bit of a woeful discovery has just occurred.

I came to replace one of the tubes in the hood of my new ViaAqua 620 (supposedly brand new I might add... *grumble*) only to discover that the 24"/20W tube I had presumed was exactly the same size as the broken one, is actually 1cm too long for the gap.

WTF! So I have apparently bought a tank with non-standard light fittings, there is no way of slightly bending the solid plastic endcaps from where they are positioned to allow a slightly larger tube.

What are my options? Has anyone ever seen a slightly smaller than 24" tube before and if so where on earth can I buy one, alternatively... am I looking at ripping the original stupid lights out and DIYing something else???

*Angry* Lotte***

sorry may seem a bit dim but have you tried fitting the new bulb?
what make are the original bulbs?
i have seen bulbs claiming to be anything from around 580mm to 610mm which fit into my 24" fitments..

sorry may seem a bit dim but have you tried fitting the new bulb?
what make are the original bulbs?

*slaps forehead* I was too annoyed before to think of googling the brand... It's bad news lol.

The brand on the tubes is "Atman" which is yet another alternative name for the AquaOne/ViaAqua brand... *sigh*

It would seem on googling that tubes can be purchased from Australia...
I'll have to see if there's any remote possibility of work getting some in otherwise i'll just rip those lights out and put T5's in instead
:p

P.S: I forgot to say, the problem only occurred after I tried to literally fit the brand new tube and it quite clearly wouldnt go not even with a bit of persuading. :(

I would imagine the starter unit would be capable of firing the new lamp. You can get new end caps for fluorescents. Without looking at the job it is difficult to be certain, but I'd maybe look at ripping the old endcaps out and replacing them with new, "festoon" endcaps, (loose ones), and wiring these to the starter. If that is not feasible, then I'd just rip the whole lot out and put something decent, and standard in.

I've been told by aqua one wholesalers in the uk that via aqua bought thier old hood moulds, the old moulds produced a thinner hood. The electrical equipment is also an older version. The aquaone 620 now sports a new T5 lighting system (they have lots in stock, with newer electrical unit, my lfs also warned me about the viaaqua stuff.

What are the numbers on the "old" tube that fits? Somewhere on the bulb should be something like F24T8 or something like that?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back