🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

the plant i have in my tank looks the exact oposite of the spider palm....

Its green in the middle and white on the edge

oh well i`ll wait and see, if the plant dies, i owe you a beer if it dosent you owe mw..

sound fair?
i`ll see if i can get some pics up tomorrow

I'm relatively new to planted tanks ergo I don't know much about aquatic plants. However, I have a few years of experience in gardening. Figured I'd put a list together of the garden plants that are being commonly sold in the guise of an aquatic plant. All photos taken from Google.

1. Lucky Bamboo (or any other bamboo)
Some bamboos can survive *partially* submerged (commonly used in ponds), but never fully submerged.
luckybamboo.jpg

2. Underwater Palm (or any other palm) (Chamaedorea elegans)
They might survive partially submerged, however, I haven't seen them being used in ponds that often. Will not survive fully submerged.
underwaterpalm.jpg

3. Spider plant (Chlorophytum species)
Common garden plant. Not suitable for aquarium. They are also used in terrariums (in the above water level part), but won't survive submerged.
spiderplant.jpg

4. Red Hedge aka Flaming dragon, Red dracena, Red tree of kings (Cordyline fruticosa)
Common garden plant. Not suitable for aquarium.
reddracena.jpg

5. Syngonium (Syngonium species)
Common garden plant. Not suitable for aquarium. Very tricky though, because it looks like a (lotus) lily plant.
syngonium.jpg

There are more, but these are the common ones I see on the "why are my plants dying" threads in this forum.

(Not sure if I got all the species correct, let me know if there are any errors so I can fix it)

If you know other non-aquatic plants being sold as aquatic, post it here! All posts appreciated! :)

hi this is a picture of chlorophtum becketii from www.aquatic-plantation.co.uk
beckeyii.jpg

I bought some of that palm on ebay - and questioned the seller after, when i found out it was not aquatic. No response 1 week later...........

Arrragh it's things like this which really annoy me. There are so many wonderful varieties of true aquatic plants why do these shops see fit to sell you marsh plants and suchlike?

True. I left good feedback already. Im not gonna chase it up but i just sent a message saying i researched it and they are selling under false pretences. See if they continue..........

Hemigraphis traian can be grown submersed.

Don't know about other species in the Hemigraphis genus though.

haha great list.............i used to buy some of these :D

My favourite has to be the Sanderiana, especially the veriagated one with the white stripe on it, very popular non aquatic plant for aquariums, it is around here anyway, nearly every lfs has it for sale.

they got some of that sandriana in my LFS at the moment
i know it's not aquatic, but now i know what it's called i'll go have a word later hehe.

took the palms out yesterday and left them in a half filled vase. This am all the leaves had withered and gone a bit crispy, even tho roots and stem were still in water. Its gone back in the tank where it seems to do better. Is it really non aquatic?

Most reactions

Back