No more ammonia!!!!!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Congrats - make sure you keep an eye on the nitrite though, if the ammonia has gone, you may get a nitrite spike???

:p When the ammonia has dropped it means you've got enough of the bacteria that converts it to Nitrites, but I think I'm right in saying that its a different type of bacteria that converts Nitrite to Nitrate so if your ammonia levels have dropped your Nitrite levels have probably increased quite a bit.

Keep an eye on the nitrites and its worth keeping a bucket of water handy incase of any quick changes.

Good luck though, let us know how you get on

:D

but I think I'm right in saying that its a different type of bacteria that converts Nitrite to Nitrate

Yep, you keep claiming you're new to the hobby but you know quite a bit from the looks of reading your posts. :)

The ammonia is converted to nitrites by Nitrosomonas and then Nitrobacter turns nitrites into nitrates. Both ammonia and nitrites is lethal to fish. Nitrates isn't lethal but can cause problems if fish are kept in high nitrate levels for extended periods of time. I would try and make sure you always have less than 30ppm of nitrates which is done by frequent partial water changes.

Here's a link for everyone to read more about the Nitrogen cycle that can explain it a lot better than I just did.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/...rogenCycle.html

Cheers SMB, I'm getting there we've had fish before but mainly just fumbled our way through, most of what I know has been learned since I've been on here.

Most reactions

Back