No Breeding From The Cherry Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blinky000

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had my group of 10 cherries for about 2 months but I've yet to see any gravid females. They're such entertaining little creatures that I really want more but so far, I've had no luck. I know I've got a good mix of males and females, there's plenty of moss to hide in, the tank is plenty big enough, the water quality is perfect but yet I still see no eggs! One of the females arrived carrying 3 eggs but the stress of moving meant that she dropped them. Is there something more I can do to encourage breeding?

What is your water temperature? Are there any other tank mates?

The water is 26 degrees and there's 2 panda corys, 1 oto and one very placid male betta in there. He doesn't even pay any attention to them and they're not the slightest bit worried by him either. I'm lucky to have such a wuss haha

Hmm. At a temperature that high, their metabolism will be sped up so they should be breeding and growing quite quickly. Apart from maybe being intimidated by the other tankmates, the only things that I can think of are an incorrect ph (they like it between 6 and 7.3 ish) or maybe the water hardness.

Hard water should not be a problem, but they do like the ph to be slightly acidic. At 7.8 yours will be slightly alkaline.

Lol. Either way I would not say it would matter as they are very adaptable. I used to breed mine with very soft water, ph 6 and 21 degrees and they bred like crazy. Maybe try changed 10% water daily and replacing it with cooler water. Failing that, check their diet and see if they are getting enough of the good stuff.

Thought I'd give you a little update. I let them have a binge for a few days (much to the delight of my greedy betta) and I just found that one of the shrimp is carrying eggs! Thank you so much for your help :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back