Nitrate spike.. Need help please...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

staredecisis

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just got a wicked Nitrate spike and I'm not sure why.. I've been doing big water changes every few days, trying to get rid of it. But I just noticed tonight, my red swordtail has 3 tiny tiny white dots on his fin. These were not there before and appear to be maybe a fungus, or possibly ick? Is this related to the spike? What's the best way to treat it. I have a tank I can quarantine him in. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like ich to me. What you can try doing is raising the temperature a few degrees. I heard you should only use meds when the ich starts attacking other fish or something. I'm sure someone will come and help soon. Sorry I couldn't help much.. but I do HTH :)

If your tank is still cycling then don't use any med as it would kill some of your beneficial bacteria. It's probably ICH so my suggestion is to raise your temp around 28 C/82 F and add salt if you don't have any cories, plec, catfish or any fish that wouldn't tolerate salt.

add salt if you don't have any cories, plec, catfish or any fish that wouldn't tolerate salt.
I have:

5 guppies
1 platy
1 swordtail
1 glassfish
1 cory

1 dwarf frog and 1 ghost shrimp

I don't know which of these do and don't tolerate salt..

I also have a 10 gallon tank I can use to temporarily separate any of these fish. But if I take out the cory and whatever else doesn't like salt, after the Ich is gone, can I just do a 100% water change back to freshwater? Also what is the best way to raise the water temp? Buy a heater?

Thank you for the help!

Umm I would move the swordtail if you want to add salt. What I would do is just raise the temp and see how it works, one of my bettas just had ich and I raised the temp a little bit and it's gone in less than 5 days. HTH

I definitely want to heat the tank to about 82 until it dissipates. Anyone have any recommendations on heating equipment or methods for a 20 gallon tank? I think I'm going to avoid the salt, though.Thanks again for the replies.

Actually no I didn't, the tank stays at 76 degrees on its own.. But I picked one up tonight, so I'm raising the temp. Going to leave it around 78 after I finish treating the Ich.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back