Night owl betta?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Loboto-Me

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
If you remember, when I first got my betta, I was concerned about his tank getting too cool at night. I would leave the light of his tank on during the night so that the heat from the light would keep his tank warm.

I was enlightened that this wasn't a good idea and started wrapping his tank with a towel at night as insulation. When I started turning off the light at night, Tatsumi stopped making bubble nests.

Fast forward to last night.... I was extremely tired last night and forgot to turn off Tatsumi's light. I woke up this morning and lo and behold... he's got a cute little bubble nest started!

What's going on here? Why won't he build his bubble nest when the lights are off at night? He wouldn't even work on a nest during the daytime when his light was on either.

Can anyone enlighten me as what the situation could be?

PS: I also had a busy week and didn't manage to change his water this week either :*) and now I'm reticent to change it because of all his hard work!

Yep, darkness is the key here...when it's dark your fish is "sleeping", but when the light is on he'll stay awake and build his nest. It's not bad that he's not building his nest at night in the dark, it is normal and good since he needs the darkness to rest for his busy day of work that will follow, Lol.

Linda

Oh yes I understand that, but the problem is.... he had stopped building nests at all until last night when I forgot to turn off his light.

He refuses to work during the day so I guess he prefers the night shift? LOL

maybe there are less distrations for him at night? sometimes they need a bit of privacy ;)

lol @ prefers the nightshift :rofl:

Could be :nod:

I love to watch mine build bubble nests, they're so diligent, it's cool to watch :wub:

One of my bettas seems to prefer darkness to make his nests. Nests pop up over night :lol: My other betta likes his privacy and doesn't build when I'm around, he also prefers darker conditions for the nests.

Most reactions

Back