Newly Planted Tank Advise

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nick_T

Reaction score
I would like some advice on my newly planted 180L tank. I've had the tank for a number of years but I have only ever tried to plant a few plants at a time before and never had much luck with them.

I got a collection of plants from www.java-plants.com delivered on Saturday and had a go at planting them. Below is a photo of my attempt at planting them.

I planted most of the plants in bunches using lead weights. I've had problems before with my fish digging up plants and eating them but this time they seem to be pretty well behaved (apart from what I believe to be the Red Ludwigia which may not be weighted down properly and in the way of the fish).

I know the sand is not the best substrate for planting, but can it still be successful?

The look I am after is of a well designed well planted tank. I'm hoping to get the plants to fill most of the tank and will probably add some moss onto the bog wood and maybe try and add another piece of bogwood towards the back of the tank.

planted_tank.jpg

Please tell me what you think, do I need to reduce the number of types of plant? Are they in the right place? In the past I have had plants which seem to grow out of control and just become ugly -_- I hope to be a little more successful this time with taking cuttings from the plants and re-planting them. Any advice?

I have recently replaced my bulbs with two new Arcadia 30w bulbs, an 'Original Tropical Lamp' - http://www.arcadia-uk.com/troplamp.htm and a 'Freshwater Lamp' - http://www.arcadia-uk.com/fwatlamp.htm.
Both the lamps have a reflector on them which reflect all of the light into the tank (they say they increase the light by 100%). They are on for 9 hours a day (11am - 10pm).

Do I need to add plant food to the tank now? Or will I only need this if the plants don't grow?

Many thanks for any advise in advance :D

I am in the process of doing a planted tank as well...just ordered lights...changed to a smaller gravel and cleaned up the tank...the lights will be here this week (3.5wpg) and I hope to have a DIY CO2 thing in place by this weekend....so plants SHOULD be in on Sunday.....fins crossed I can find all the ones I like -_-

If my tank looks half as good as yours I will be happy....that looks AWESOME!!!!

I can't help you with the technical aspects of a planted tank.....but MAN, I love your tank!!

Many thanks for the comments :thumbs: Much appreciated!

This is the best the tank has ever looked to be honest. I just hope it will stay this nice :/ and even better keep growing so that I can fill the tank!

I'm worried about algae which has always been my problem. My plants in the past have all looked lovely when first planted but soon the leaves become covered with algae and they just look nasty. Hopefully by adding so many plants I will keep the algae at bay. This is my first attempt at planting since I replaced the gravel with sand... fingers crossed it will work!

The all red plant in the foreground on the left side of the tank was completely uprooted this morning. I think it is probably my big clown loach (about 6" - 7" long) who has done this :sly: I think I will have to plant everything as deep as I can in the sand to stop this, but I swear my fish have eaten some of it as well (it had some buds on it)

Most reactions

Back