Pokeguyjai
New Member
- Joined
- Jul 22, 2007
- Messages
- 5
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
Hello everyone,
I just got my first tank! I've decided to go brackish because I really like the Columbian Shark. I hope to get 3-4 of them
Anyway, I don't have any fish in the tank. The tank is full with water (36gallon tank) and has gravel and a bio wheel filter.
My problem:
I was reading up here on some information and thanks to nmonks Brack Calc 4 I found out that my current SG is only 1.0005. (I added about .75 pounds of Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix - I was told to do this by the person who helped me get started at the fish store - and according to the program, I need another 1.8 pounds of this stuff... does that sound right?)
My question:
Since I have no fish in the tank, I'm guessing that the cycling process has yet to begin. Which means that there are no good bacteria in the filter/water? So is it OK for me to throw in 1.8 additional pounds of sea salt into the tank before I acclimate my 3-4 Columbian sharks tomorrow?
Please advise: I have a BIO-WHEEL filter made by Marineland. They have the "activated" carbon filter (chemical filter?) and then theres the wheel thing that spins.
Thanks everyone for time!,
Eric
I just got my first tank! I've decided to go brackish because I really like the Columbian Shark. I hope to get 3-4 of them
Anyway, I don't have any fish in the tank. The tank is full with water (36gallon tank) and has gravel and a bio wheel filter.
My problem:
I was reading up here on some information and thanks to nmonks Brack Calc 4 I found out that my current SG is only 1.0005. (I added about .75 pounds of Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix - I was told to do this by the person who helped me get started at the fish store - and according to the program, I need another 1.8 pounds of this stuff... does that sound right?)
My question:
Since I have no fish in the tank, I'm guessing that the cycling process has yet to begin. Which means that there are no good bacteria in the filter/water? So is it OK for me to throw in 1.8 additional pounds of sea salt into the tank before I acclimate my 3-4 Columbian sharks tomorrow?
Please advise: I have a BIO-WHEEL filter made by Marineland. They have the "activated" carbon filter (chemical filter?) and then theres the wheel thing that spins.
Thanks everyone for time!,
Eric
I know your new but you should have read a little more. Your going to get an amonia spike in your tank and now those sharks you have will be forced to try and servive through it! Be ready for water changes. You should have let the tank cycle for a month with a rotting cocktail shrimp or something to jump start the ammonia cycle. 






