Newbie With A Couple Of Questions Please

medication25

New Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone!

This is my first post, i have a new Biorb 60L :hyper: :hyper: ive done the normal 48hr of running the tank empty after adding the slime and zime? I think it was called.

Today i added 2 Tiger Barbs and they see happy. Also added some live plants... i have a couple of questions... i wonder if anyone can advise me:

1) My tank is running at 27c i cannot seem to get the temp any lower, is this ok for most Fish?
2) I choose the Tiger Barbs because they are hardy fish to start the cycle (I'm told) but I'm wondering which fish i can put in with them now in a month or so time... the mrs wants some really pretty fish such as Neon tetras.. can anyone suggest some nice fish to add to my tank, id be really interested to look up the fish suggested.
3) How many fish can i fit into my 60L tank?


Thanks for much for your time... :hyper:

Cheers,

-Peter
 
You needed to have cycled your tank first. See the Newbie sections of the boards.
You are now in a process called fish-in cycling. Please don't add any more fish until you read up on the cycling process.


CLICK HERE!!!!


also, edited to add... Check out this site to see a decent way of finding out what fish you can mix and match with. Click here.
 
You needed to have cycled your tank first. See the Newbie sections of the boards.
You are now in a process called fish-in cycling. Please don't add any more fish until you read up on the cycling process.

This is the Fish-in cycle no? That’s why i added 2 hardy fish, I'm going to keep a close eye on things for a month and then add one more fish if all is good...

Maybe 2 was too many?
 
Well, I aint gonna rant on about being in a fish-in cycle. Its done. I've been there myself in a previous life :)
Just do some reading on the subect using the links I've given you.
Have you got a water test kit to keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites?

Also, your heater. You say it is stuck on 27c? Are you able to control what temp your heater is at? How are you testing the temp of the water? Get a thermometer that you can place inside the water if poss. I don't have a prob with the ones you stick onto the outside of a tank but many argue they are inaccurate.

And, once your tank is cycled, I'd recommend getting rid of your two barbs... if opens up a lot more choice for you. Plus, Barbs do better in groups, it makes them less fin-nippy and they prefer a 20g tank miminum.

The amount of fish you can fit into a 60L (not sure what that is in gallons - approx 17g?) all depends on what type of fish you want to keep.
 
Thanks for your feedback Fax,

I just had a read up about the fish-less cycle. I had no idea about this system until now everyone inc LFS told me to use fish...

I. The heater is on its lowest settings it shows it’s on ~20c and I have to thermometers that stick inside the tank both are reading 27c just cannot seem to get the water lower, the heater is on lowest setting...

II. I have the Tetra test 6-in-1 strips that you wave in the water then compare on the chart everything is in the “ok” region so far, is there one set of readings I should be looking at closely.. and how often should I test the water?

III. I have 4 live plants in there too, is that a help or a hindrance to the cycle system?

Thanks .


Cheers,

-Peter
 
Thanks for your feedback Fax,

I just had a read up about the fish-less cycle. I had no idea about this system until now everyone inc LFS told me to use fish...

This happens all too commonly. It's a good way for a fish store to make extra sales, is all. If you can take the fish back and do a fishless cycle, please, for the sake of your fish (and your sanity), do so.

I. The heater is on its lowest settings it shows it’s on ~20c and I have to thermometers that stick inside the tank both are reading 27c just cannot seem to get the water lower, the heater is on lowest setting...

Is your heater light permanently on? Could be your heater is stuck on (which would be bad) but I suspect not, since I think the temp would be higher than 27 if that were the case. If not, is your house as hot as hell? (lol)

II. I have the Tetra test 6-in-1 strips that you wave in the water then compare on the chart everything is in the “ok” region so far, is there one set of readings I should be looking at closely.. and how often should I test the water?

The test strips are sadly next to useless. It's really hard to tell the difference between the different colours on them and they're inaccurate at the best of times. Grab yourself a good liquid test kit (API master kit or similar) and test using those. Much, much more accurate, and they'll allow us here to help you better, too. They look expensive compared to the test strips, but they'll last you well over a year, and you can get them on ebay for £18 or so.

III. I have 4 live plants in there too, is that a help or a hindrance to the cycle system?

It shouldn't make any difference to your cycle (it didn't to mine), but I believe plants have been known to give misleading ammonia/nitrate readings.

Thanks .


Cheers,

-Peter
 
Thanks M00se,

The heater light is not suck on, comes on now and then... and my door is wide open.. doesnt seem hot here.. its odd.. is 27 too high? is there any certian way the heater shd be set up... EG deep in the tank.. or always vertical?


Also, shd i feed these fish yet or leave it until tomorrow?
 
If it's still going on and off then it's probably a dodgy thermostat or it's just plain broken. OR, your thermometers are busted. The stick-on ones are sometimes a bit hit and miss - worth investing a couple of quid in a cheap in-water one which tend to be (in my experience) more accurate.

I place my heater fully submerged, about halfway down in the tank, at 45 degree angle, somewhere where the water flow is decent (right next to the filter output is preferable).

Edit: regarding the fish, like I say I'd take them back or rehome them if even remotely possible. If not, then you need a liquid test kit as a matter of some urgency. If not that, keep testing with the strips (it's gotta be better than nothing) and doing 30% or so water changes daily, regardless of what the strips say. Don't worry about feeding them today, it'll only increase the ammonia levels anyway. Wait until you can test your water stats.
 
Feed as little as possible to keep your ammonia down, a small amount every other day should help with the cycle.

I highly reccomend that you take the fish back and fishless cycle, i've been in a fish in and it wasn't pretty, even if your fish survive (btw tiger barbs get too large for your tank at 7cm fully grown and IMO need to be in groups of at least 6) they will have permanent damage due to their exposure to ammonia which burns the fishes gills.

I advise you return your fish as they are unsuitable for your tank anyway, and fishless cycle during the cycleing period you can research what type of fish you may want.
 
I don't trust that site,

It says bettas are compatable with gouramis and bala sharks amongst other things.

Very bad info.
 
Hi,

I used to have a 60 litre Biorb, have you the one with the light in the lid, if you leave the light on for a great deal, this can raise the temp, I used to have my heater turned down low. But as other posters have said it could well be the heater itself. Was it the one supplied with the Biorb. :)
 
yea, the heater came with the Biorb, its on its lowest setting, has an temp indicator scale on the front, currently its set to 20c yet the tank is 27 c

I think its knackered, can anyone suggest a good heater?
 
1) My tank is running at 27c i cannot seem to get the temp any lower, is this ok for most Fish?

They can live with it.


]2) I choose the Tiger Barbs because they are hardy fish to start the cycle (I'm told) but I'm wondering which fish i can put in with them now in a month or so time... the mrs wants some really pretty fish such as Neon tetras.. can anyone suggest some nice fish to add to my tank, id be really interested to look up the fish suggested.

Rehome the barbs when the cycle is done and then get 6 neon tetras and some cherry shrimp

3) How many fish can i fit into my 60L tank?

About 15 inches of adult fish.
 
yea, the heater came with the Biorb, its on its lowest setting, has an temp indicator scale on the front, currently its set to 20c yet the tank is 27 c

I think its knackered, can anyone suggest a good heater?


Yes, certainly. Visitherms are the best heaters. Very accurate and reliable and last many years without going wrong, inlike most other makes.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top