Newbie Question

Raidmeuk

New Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hampshire UK
Hi All,

I have a new tank well about a month old and have now transfered my fish to it. My question is is it too bright you see i have keep my fish in a Fish'R'Fun 21l tank for about a year (I know I know but i thought if i dont kill them then I will invest in a bigger tank) so I went out and brought a 125l Fluval Roma tank. My old tank had a 6w light bulb and the fish we out all day now this new tank had 2 large bulbs which makes it very bright and I dont ever see the fish until the lights go out.

Do you think its to bright for them or have i done something wrong ??
 
Hi,the fish will get used to the brighter lights,just make sure and provide plenty of cover for them,plenty plants,wood,caves etc.This will make them feel more secure and more likely to venture out.
 
The roma lighting isnt that bright (T8 aqua glows I believe) so shouldnt really be bothering them, its probably just getting used to their new surroundings, did you cycle the tank or use your already mature filter media, just asking in case its the water quality that could be bothering them.

Also what species, as some are more prone to avoiding bright lights than others?
 
Hi Both,

I ran the tank for a good 3 weeks taking the water from the old tank and moving it to the new tank. I also stripped the old media down (quickly as not to loose anything) and moved it to the new filter I hope this was good enough? I must admit there isnt much in the way of rock cover but i do have lots of plants for them so maybe need to get some more rocks.

The fish i have in the tank are 2x Corydoras Aeneus, 2x Bolivan Butterfly Ram, 1x Green Swordtail, (I know i should have more Swordtail but his mate died) 7x Neon Tetra, 3x Yamato shrimp
 
Using the water and the old media should have been fine to cycle the tank, so long as you dont add too many fish all at once.

Try some floating plants, frogbit, lettuce, duckweed or similar to break the light up a bit if need be, but they shouldnt be that bothered, none of them are particularly light sensitive fish.

When you turn the lights on is it directly from dark, or from normal room lighting conditions, just thinking its more of the light shock that bothering them rather than the light itself. Try turning on the lights in the room for a while before turning the tank lights on and have some movement around the tank beforehand also just so they are not suddenley in light without warning.
 
You could be right regarding the light shock as its on a timer so turns on at about 3 pm when we're at work. maybe its a bit much shame you cant get a dimmer switch for it. :)

I must admit it is only the Rams, Corydoras and Shrimp that are a bit shy.

Thanks for the help.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top